• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bill24
    • Jun 2004

uss marlin building question

hi,
    i bought a uss marlin from subtech and having trouble putting together. i am having trouble putting together the controls on the front of the sub. looks like paddles on each side of the sub. how do u install that.. the instructions are not very clear. pics will help a lot. thanks. i remember tim smalley post some pics for me before and it was great. so tim if you get this message please help me or anyone. thanks so much.
    bill
  • tmsmalley
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Sorry about that sir -

Sorry about that sir - I have posted the only ones I have of the Marlin. Just do a forum Search on the word "Marlin" if you need to find them again.

I'm not sure what you mean by "paddles" - dive planes maybe? I really do recommend reading the manual again very carefully. Learning the parts nomenclature is essential in building any RC sub kit.

Contact Dave at SubTech (sales@rcboats.com) with specific questions and I am sure he will help. He's a good guy and very willing to answer questions.

If you feel totally lost and out of your element but still want to have a sub, contact Matt Munger - He did the CAD design for this kit and he often builds sub kits for guys who don't have the time or inclination. He regularly posts on this board. Just search on his name.

Tim

USS Albacore kit uses the same systems as Marlin

Edited By TMSmalley on 1102020984

Comment

• bill24
      • Jun 2004

thank you tim. i will

thank you tim. i will do as u say.
      wish me luck.
      bill

Comment

• m. munger
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2003

Howdy Bill-
        Those paddles sticking out

Howdy Bill-
        Those paddles sticking out of the hull in the front are indeed referred to as the forward (or bow) dive planes. I believe there is a styrene part included in the kit that will mount in the hull bottom that serve as a support for those dive planes.... I don't have a copy of the instructions handy so I can't refer you to a specific page or step, but I know their construction is documented.

Most folks I'd assume would make them removable using square brass tubing and a friction fit.... the angled slots in the sides of the hull would be cut out , but not really used per se unless you wished to build a retraction system for the bow planes, which is NOT included in the kit (and would take some interesting engineering to accomplish).

Sorry, a few pictures would be worth a few thousand words for sure in this specific instance, but I don't have any either....

Good luck!!

Matt

Comment

Working...
        X