X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slats
    • Feb 2003

Our Vendors -Our hobby - Our Future - Supporting Reputable Vendors

I was quite amazed at the new vendors claim that that they are selling Matt's Sturgeon kit. Presumably they have reproduced the kit since Matt only sold the one kit and this was ages ago. I didn't think that a purchase of a single kit gives that purchaser any reproductive rights. Matt also states that Atomic subs are the only present agents for his kit. .

Our hobby is only as good as the vendors who have done the hard yards coming up with the products that make it enjoyable for us the end user. Now and into the future is the time to support these vendors that have acted with integrity for the benefit of the hobby. Can you imagine how prehistoric the hobby we be without the likes of Thor, Merriman, Manley , Asay -just to name but a few? Naturally, there are other vendors outside the US that are equally as valuable.

Some comments have suggested that competition is good for the hobby. I agree it is too. But remember that a competitive edge gained through questionable means is usually not sustainable, nor is it ethical. If you want lower costs you may well find quality compromised. Its an old saying but very true in this hobby "You get what you pay for". Our reputable vendors don't make mega bucks from what they do.
    The vendors I have used, Thor Design, Ships N Things, Subtech, and Model Submraine Systems Australia, all have provided fantastic service pre and after sales. These people care about what they sell and its hard to put a price on that.

What do Subcommittee Members think?

Edited By Slats on 1102398987
  • craigf
    • Oct 2004

I'm not a SubCommittee member,

[color=#000080]I'm not a SubCommittee member, but]

Comment

• slats
      • Feb 2003

???

Edited By Slats on 1102399044

???

Edited By Slats on 1102399044

Comment

• mkeatingss
        • Nov 2003

I agree completely. This is

I agree completely. This is theft, in fact, if not in law. Do we really want a country that permits this type of activity to be granted "Prefered Nation" trade status? You know what to do. Keep those letters and postcards going.
        Mike

Comment

• ogopogo
          • Oct 2004

This is, unfortunately, merely the

This is, unfortunately, merely the tip of the iceberg. Get accustomed to inexpensive Chinese products inclusive of "knock-offs". We, the consumers, have made it come to pass. While walking in marches and rallies for "buy American" and, in my case, "buy Canadian" products, we thought primarily of the bottom line for our own purchaes. We bought at Wal-mart because it was cheaper and expected that others would buy local products. When Wal-mart tells its manufacturers that they must locate in China if they want to sell at Wally, the end of copyright is nigh. Say goodbye to intellectual properties. Say goodbye to North American employment. Buy your old farms back and start growing food crops. The Chinese are building manufacturing cities on their most arable land. Life is a circle, isn't it!

Comment

• novagator
            SubCommittee Member
            • Aug 2003

Ok, I will chime in

Ok, I will chime in here on the legality of all this

There are different types of protections here.

One is a patent, but these must be acquired in every country that you seek protection and the time limit is max of 20 years.

At best a design patent can be had on the hull, but a utility patent maybe on the mechanical functions.

No patent = no intellectual protection.

The copyright on the design. This might be the best bet, but doubtful the vendors would get much protection here either.

Intellectual property rights are not what you guys think they are.

Comment

• JWLaRue
              Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
              • Aug 1994

We haven't (yet) talked about

We haven't (yet) talked about this issue within the Executive Committee, but my first take on this is that keeping tabs on who is a legal distributor/manufacturer of goods is not something that we want the SubCommittee to be getting into. This could easily lead us into a whole lot of legal problems. I would think that the manufacturers would be best positioned to provide this service.

-Jeff
              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• slats
                • Feb 2003

My sole purpose for writting

My sole purpose for writting this post is out of concern that if pioneering vendors to our hobby are shafted by having their products illegally reproduced, then there will be less incentive for product development and innovation. That in my book would be an understandable reaction and a disaster for our hobby.
                I for one would not want a vendor listed on our website, if it was obvious that that vendor was doing something illegal.
                Again, I do appreciate that the Subcommittee is pretty limited in what it can do / or should do regarding this.
                All the best
                John[/U][B]

Edited By Slats on 1102399191

Comment

• novagator
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Aug 2003

I fully appreciate the limitations

I fully appreciate the limitations that the Subcommittee does have on it. After all we are a hobby club. My sole purpose for writting this post is out of concern that if pioneering vendors to our hobby are shafted by having their products illegally reproduced, then there will be less incentive for product development and innovation. That in my book would be an understandable reaction and a disaster for our hobby.
                  I for one would not want a vendor listed on our website, if it was obvious that that vendor was doing something illegal.
                  Again, I do appreciate that the Subcommittee is pretty limited in what it can do / or should do regarding this.
                  All the best
                  John
                  Slats,

What are these other vendors doing that is illegal? Immoral maybe, but not illegal unless the sub vendors have patents in these foreign nations. No patent = no legal protection.

how do you think all those generic drugs are on the market.

The only thing i see that would be illegal is using the copyrighted images on their website without permission.

Now if the sub vendors have patents in china or else well, then anyone copying them would be in violation of that patent.

Comment

• slats
                    • Feb 2003

John,
                    remove the word illegal, replace

John,
                    remove the word illegal, replace it with immoral, underhanded etc, the net result is still the same.....its an afront to all those who supply our hobby with the product of their hard work.

Comment

• novagator
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Aug 2003

John,
                      remove the word illegal, replace

John,
                      remove the word illegal, replace it with immoral, underhanded etc, the net result is still the same.....its an afront to all those who supply our hobby with the product of their hard work.
                      I agree with the immoral part especially in such a small market where the profits are not that big. But that is the way the laws are written

The best we can do is not support the ones we think are immoral.

Comment

Working...
                      X