• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymous
    • May 2024

Type VIIC hatch

Hi guy's
    Could someone please tell me how the hatch on the conning tower of a Type VIIC was positioned. Was it on an angle or perpendicular to the periscope base.
    Thanks Keith W
  • pat davis
    • Feb 2003

It's slightly off center, between

It's slightly off center, between the sky & attack periscopes.

http://www.pbase.com/image/12406469

Comment

Thanks Pat, That was just

Thanks Pat, That was just what I was after. I will e mail you a picture of my Type VIIC. Don,t know how to post an image on the message board yet.
      Regards Keith

Comment

• pat davis
        • Feb 2003

Love to see it.
        sgt-lynch@rogers.com
        You

Love to see it.
        sgt-lynch@rogers.com
        You can see my work in progress at http://www.pbase.com/lynch/u772_

Pat

Comment

Hi Pat
          Sent the photo's

Hi Pat
          Sent the photo's but not sure if they went through. Sorry if it was a long download. Let me know if you got them.
          Keith

Comment

• don prince
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

I posted three photos of

I posted three photos of my OTW Type VIIc hull that I just finished in the R/C forum under the entry "Post here pictures of your model"...

Regards,
            Don_

Edited By Don Prince on 1047063117
            A man's gotta know his limitations...
            Harry Callahan, SFPD

Comment

• pat davis
              • Feb 2003

Nope, don't seem to have

Nope, don't seem to have gotten them.

Give it another shot or post them somewhere.

Pat

Comment

G'day Pat
                I have now

G'day Pat
                I have now got a web site up and running so you can check out the photo gallery. Just click on the small world symbol on my post below.
                Keith Willans

Edited By TypeVIIC on 1046788097

Comment

• pat davis
                  • Feb 2003

LOL!
                  I was there yesterday!

LOL!
                  I was there yesterday! Nice sub man! Is that 32p or an OTW boat?

Sweet!

Comment

• sam reichart
                    Past President
                    • Feb 2003

That's a 32nd Parallel hull....I

That's a 32nd Parallel hull....I can tell because the pressure hull and the casing lines are wrong on the 32nd P boat. If you take a look at a Type VII, the steel casing should come over the pressure hull, not the reverse. (Also, that looks like a fiberglass deck, not the brass from OTW.)

No criticism of the model- that's a nice job!!

Just noting an inherent flaw in the original hull kit...
                    This looks like a pump boat also, based on the opening of the scope tube...

Comment

• JWLaRue
                      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
                      • Aug 1994

The original rasied about about

[color=#000000]The original rasied about about the orientation of the conning tower hatch]

Edited By JWLaRue on 1046894200
                      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

G'day All
                        Yes! You are quite

G'day All
                        Yes! You are quite right. It is a 32p boat. Not quite sure what you meant about the pressure hull. I am interested to find out though. The deck is fibreglass and I had to make it myself. 850 holes in that sucker. It was just another one of those things I did not get with the kit. I can't call it a kit as all I got was the hull and two batteries. Some package deal!.
                        Keep checking out the site as I am adding new photo's to it each night. I just posted photo's of the WTC being tested in the bath. If you look at the new photo's you will see it has a gas ballast system. You can see the tube that the pressure vessel sits in, in the middle of the ballast tank. The scope tube has an opening because I have not yet made a sky perriscope for it. If you look at a real type VII with the scope fully retracted, it actually looks like an empty tube from an angle. I was thinking about making a dome and slotting it down the tube to simulate the head of the sky periscope. As for the deck. You see it in an unfinished state. When it has been painted and detailed, You will not know the difference except in your wallet. Let me know what you mean about the pressure hull as I would like to find out.The 32p hull also lacks pannel and rivot detail on the hull which I would of liked. OTW's boat was not out when I bought 32p's hull otherwise I would have got the OTW kit.
                        All the best Keith

Edited By TypeVIIC on 1046961116

Comment

• sam reichart
                          Past President
                          • Feb 2003

Hi Keith-
                          I jumped to the

Hi Keith-
                          I jumped to the conclusion about it being a pump boat, since That sky periscope tube was way up front and high; when I built my 32nd P boat in 1990, that's where my "pickup tube" for my pump was located. Only after I saw your WTC photos did I realize you were going to be using soem sort of compressed air/gas system.

OK- here's what I mean about the pressure hull and casing. If you look at your hull, you'll notice the the casing that was added over the pressure hull (what actually becomes the forward hull- I'm speaking of the U shaped area in front of the saddle tanks) on the 32nd P hull shows the pressure hull being "higher" in profile than the forward casing/hull. In other words, that gentle hump is reversed on this hull...the outer casing was added OVER the pressure hull- the pressure hull should not be higher than the casing. It's somewhat subtle, I'll admit. But I point it out because if you are going to add rivets and weld lines, you may as well fix this problem. I would do as John Schagane did, and build up the forward casing with a mask, and then add some putty/paint to make it higher than the pressure hull. I hope this explanation helps.
                          Sam

Comment

G'day Sam
                            When I built

G'day Sam
                            When I built the conning tower, I only had photo's to go by and one of the photo's which I will post tomorrow,has the sky periscope tube in the same position and just as high. You have to know that the whole conning tower is scratch built and was built from photo reference only so things may not be exactly rite. I will find the photo I used tomorrow so check out the post again.
                            Keith
                            P.S Thanks for the info. I understand now. I think I will use reverse shading to obtain the desired effect. I have not yet painted the model so it will not be hard

Edited By TypeVIIC on 1047046902

Comment

Working...
                            X