• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • david h
    • Feb 2003

Type 214

Dear all,

I am looking at modelling a Submarine that has not been built yet. I really like the look of the Proposed type 214. I am interested in building it because I don't have to worry about the X plane set up. I really like German/ Swedish boats even, if it seems our navy is having problems with it's (collins)

Does anybody have anymore info other than what's available on the HDW TNSW and Cord's website? A 3 view would be nice?

Regards,

DAvid Hughes.

Hello David,

The X-stern feature is

Hello David,

The X-stern feature is not that difficult to model with the proper electronic mixer available form vendors on the SC board. However, Mike Dory has once expressed interest in a model of the Type 214 also for the same reasons.

HDW (Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH of Kiel) is developing the Type 214 submarine, which is a simular to the Type 212. The Greek Navy has ordered three Type 214 submarines. Construction of the first vessel has begun at the HDW Kiel shipyard for delivery in 2005, while Hellenic Shipyards will build the second and third vessels at Skaramanga. Hellenic Shipyards was acquired by HDW in May 2002. A fourth vessel was ordered by Greece in June 2002.

South Korea has also ordered three Type 214, to enter service in 2007, 2008 and 2009. These will be built by Hyundai Heavy Industries.

The Type 214 will have an increased diving depth of over 400m, due to improvements in the pressure hull materials. Hull length is 65m and displacement 1,700t. Four of the eight torpedo tubes will be capable of firing missiles.

Performance of the AIP system has been increased with two Siemens PEM fuel cells which produce 120kW per module and will give the submarine an underwater endurance of two weeks. A hull shape which has been further optimised for hydrodynamic and stealth characteristics and a low noise propeller combine to decrease the submarine's acoustic signature.

The Integrated Sensor Underwater System ISUS 90, from STN ATLAS Elektronik integrates all sensors, command and control functions on board the submarine. BAE Systems provides the Link 11 tactical data link. The sensor suite of the U214 submarine consists of the sonar systems, an attack periscope and an optronic mast. The submarine's electronic support measures system and Global Positioning System sensors are also installed on the optronic mast.

U214 Specs

Surface displacement 1700 cubic metres
    Length 64 metres
    Height 13 metres
    Pressure hull diameter 6.30 metres
    Buoyancy reserve >10%
    Crew 30

Performance]Type 214 a[/url]214 b

Comment

• david h
      • Feb 2003

Dear Dolphin,

I suppose I could

Dear Dolphin,

I suppose I could always use a V-tail or Flying wing mixer that I've always needed to get other than sliding servo's for my gliders.

Cool.

dave H

Comment

Hi David,

This is Dolphin, but

Hi David,

This is Dolphin, but you can call me Steve,

Even if the '214' is a follow on to the German '212A' and Israeli Dolphin, the Dolphin and 212A look so much more modern in appearance. Very cool boats!

I would recommend if you consider a X-stern boat, to use an electronic mixer off the shelf from a model submarine vendor such as from Nil Brakkman in Germany, or Skip Asay of Sub Tech in the United States and not a mechanical mixer. Dave Merriman experimented with a mechanical mixer initially in a Sub Tech Albacore, and if I am correct, Dave reported mixed results and not very satisfactory handling. So this mechanical mixer path has been explored before. In theory is one thing, but practice seems another thing in this case.

In a submarine, the elegant advantages of an X-stern are you have four control surfaces performing both rudder (yaw) and stern plane (pitch) functions and a combination of both, hence the 'mixer'. A mixer would need from experience much less pitch sensitivity (about half at least) compared to yaw throw, which maybe easier to adjust electronically than a mechanical mixer originally designed for 'V' tail and/or delta wing aircraft (elevons). Turning performance of X-stern submarines are superior to an equivalent non-X-stern vessel.

Most X-stern submarines are used by Navies wishing good shallow water handling performance as in the Baltic, (Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, German Navies) , the Yellow Sea (South Korea), the Strait of Melacca approaches (Singapore and Australian Navies) being examples.

Maybe try you hand with an X-stern design as your second model submarine. Perhaps consider buying a Sub Tech Albacore kit (a Phase II) , get your feet wet, then later convert your Albacore model to X-stern configuration to explore that area. So happens Skip sells a conversion kit to facilitate this. It would still use two servos in the X stern as it would with a cruciform stern arrangement, but a electronic mixer added and dialed in already. Plug in Skips product and go! The Albacore would let you test a number of things besides being a very fun scale boat to begin with, and help you decide how you may wish to proceed. That is what essentually the U.S. Navy did with the real Albacore too!

Regards,

Steve Reichmuth

Comment

• david h
          • Feb 2003

Steve,

Thanks for the advice on

Steve,

Thanks for the advice on the x planes, yeah i;ve known that they provide better handling however I suppose i;m just a bit lazy!

This boat will be my third boat and there are too many choices, I am kinda stuck on doing the 214 but was seroiusly tossing up doing one of our old Oberon boats. I don't really like the Collins class all that much. I don't know if you heard but one of them sprung a leak a couple of weeks ago.

I suppose I'm a sucker for german stuff. I've modelled several of their Gliders in the past ,I like U-boats.

Cheers, Dave H

Sydney, Australia.

Comment

Working...
          X