• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymous
    • May 2024

U-Boat Conning Tower Stripes

Hi,

I have seen some B&W photos of several WWII Type XXIIIs with either white or yellow stripes on the conning tower. Some of the boats had only a horizontal stripe, and some had both a horizontal and a vertical stripe.

What color were these stripes, and what were they used for? Recognition? I'm trying to decide if I want them on my boat when it is done.

Thanks for the help.

Hello Steve,

The stripes are yellow,

Hello Steve,

The stripes are yellow, and are about the exact same tone and tint as the yellow
    clickable smiles seen on the new board here. These where used for recognition to
    identify the submarine as being in work up training. I have seen these on models
    representing Type XVIIA & XVIIB, XXI, XXIII boats operating in the Baltic
    training areas. Many modelers of German submarines of the types mentioned
    above have found them useful also for better visibility when operating their model in pond
    water without digressing from scale appearance. These German yellow stripes
    would not be worn while conducting operations against enemy forces.

The US Navy used to paint the boat's contract hull number on the sail if the boat
    was in port and/or conducting training or of a new skipper I was once told.
    Operationally though, the name and hull numbers on US subs would always be
    painted out without exception. Today, plastic sail numbers on the sail with magnets
    attached are used in port so it is easier for new officers and crew to report duty to
    the right address. No need to paint then, just pull off and attach again at the next
    port of call.

Regards,

Steve Reichmuth
    [I]

Comment

Working...
    X