X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce martin
    • Sep 2009

Intrested to know

Im intrested to know if there are any Type XXI or Wilhelm Bauer boats out there that have been put together and running ? Doug Badgley had made the masters and produced 10 kits if memory serves me, and I have not seen any running, I have both of Dougs boats now . In fact I have lost track of who has the masters for these boat.....any one know.

Later Bruce
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

thor @Matt Thor…Matt - did you have these from Doug?

Comment

• thor
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2009

Hi guys,

Yes. I had the molds for several years. I sold 32 Type XXI kits out of those molds. The molds were then sold to Paul Crozier. Then, I bought the molds back from him and produced another dozen kits. Bob Martin has the molds now and I am not certain what he has done with them. It is a very tedious kit to put together as there are a LOT of parts. T
      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• bruce martin
        • Sep 2009

Thanks for the info guys ....so Matt out of all the kits you sold do you know if any of them have built the kit and are floating them ? I guess would like to see more of them in the water.

Later Bruce

Comment

• thor
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2009

Bruce,

I have no idea to be honest with you.
          Regards,

Matt

Comment

• bob the builder
            Former SC President
            • Feb 2003

An interesting observation! Now that I think of it, I really can't think of having seen many functional XXI kits out there at all.

I do have the molds. As Matt said, they are very labor-intensive to produce. No one wanted to pay what a kit was worth, so I've mothballed everything for the time-being.

Bob
            The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• bruce martin
              • Sep 2009

Thanks Bob.....its too bad that there are not more in the water....they are an impressive boat.... love both of mine.

Later Bruce

Comment

• pugman1
                • Nov 2021

Hi, is this a Matt Thor type xx1. If so are the brass sections still available for the deck. Thanks

Comment

• bruce martin
                  • Sep 2009

Doug Badgley was the original person to produce the Type XXI hulls from the masters that he made, Matt had bought the masters from Doug , so it is quite possible that it is a Matt Thor Hull, as for the brass decks I am under the impression that there were none made for that hull. I have two of Dougs original Type XXI hulls including the Wilhelm Bauer. If there is any other info that you are looking for post it.

Later Bruce

Comment

Working...
                  X