X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • navy2000
    • Jan 2007

Drydock Shelter

Has anyone ever built a drydock shelter to go onto their model and do submerge operations with it on the model.

If so did you have to have a larger ballast tank for this to work.

I would guess that the drydock shelter would have to be made so that it can fill with water and drain easily as well.

Duane
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

It has been modeled before. I do not believe as a ballast tank, but a good running sub would not need that and it complicates things more than it needs to. However......you might be the first.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• wlambing
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

I think Pete Piekerski put one on an Ohio class boat a few years back.

Comment

• chips
        • Feb 2003

I got one at the Indianapolis Sub Fun Run Raffle this year. Pete made some hinged left and some hinged right. The one I have is 3.6 ounces of solid cast resin. I plan to hollow some of that out.
        Attached Files

Comment

• navy2000
          • Jan 2007

Thanks for the photos of the one you have. I plan on making mine in two parts so that I can hollow it out so that it can free flood.

Duane

Comment

• wlambing
            SubCommittee Member
            • Feb 2003

DDS = Dry Deck Shelter. A Drydock shelter would be a shed inside some big hole in the ground that occasionally gets filled with water and ships or boats.
            Thank you and have a lovely Saturday!

Bill

Comment

Working...
            X