• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

A battery to last your lifetime?

This is exciting!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • wingtip
    SubCommittee Member
    • Dec 2004

I remember 10-15 years ago the hot topic of graphene batteries that took only seconds to charge and would hold a charge for quite a while. that you would be able to see t shirts and other clothing with graphene circuit traces that could make a working circuit board on your clothing... blah blah but all these years later still no mass production of anything even close to that... I think graphene and this new nuclear waste battery will never be allowed to hit the market for all the existing technology/business's it would kill.

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

You are probably right. I was going to be an alpha tester of a 3D storage on a film the size of a slide type photo. Were I worked we stored a lot of images and wanted a better way to store and retrieve. When I followed up with the company because I was supposed to have the unit to begin testing on, the Government (unknown what 3 letter group it was) stepped in and the units disappeared. Never heard from them again. So, some things never become truly fiscally marketable and other things get absorbed for other uses. Still, whenI see things like this, I get excited. The thought of power that lasts a LOOOONG time is a dream.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• feet wet
        • Mar 2003

And what would happen to all the discarded batteries? I have seen many anouncements of inventions and product projects that all promised breakthoughs. I do not remember one ever making it to market at a cost that the avaerage consumer could afford. More often than not, the announcements appeared to be investment trolling promises....But, I could be wrong.

Comment

• bob the builder
          Former SC President
          • Feb 2003

This doesn't apply specifically to the comments here, but as it's as good a place as any for an early AM rant, cut me some slack and let me bust loose until my coffee kicks in.

I'll be honest here (and apologies if this rubs anyone's fur the wrong way), but to all the nay-sayers concerning electric and batteries, I say get your head out of the sand and join us in the 21st century.

Yes, electric is not perfect... yet.

Yes, battery range and recycling is a huge concern... now.

Yes, electric cars don't have the range of gas-burning vehicles... yet.

Yes, the infrastructure for charging isn't up to par... yet.

BUT....

Bear in mind, people.. until very recently, electric was not a focus for anyone because gas was cheap and plentiful. It's a new industry and the advancements we've seen in just the last couple of years is, frankly, amazing. We live in a capitalist society, and it's taken a few innovative leaders in this area to drive interest and demand. When demand increases, money hungry corporations build products and services to support it. When support increases, costs go down, efficiencies improve and technology snowballs even faster as competition increases.

If you guys want to be the equivalent of a cowboy sitting astride his horse watching the first gas-powered vehicle drive by and saying to your buddy beside you, "Lookit that new-fangled con-trapshin! Ain't no way I'd get a vee-hicle! My horse is plenty good and don't need no gas-o-line to get me where I'm going!" , well, then.. good on you. We'll all be waving as we drive silently by...
          The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• wingtip
            SubCommittee Member
            • Dec 2004

Bob we arent doubting it or against "new-fangled con-trapshins!" but where is the graphene battery technology that was touted 10-15 years ago i mentioned?? And now this nuclear waste battery... Im all for these but i still say they'll never see the light of day just based on the graphene promises that never came to be.
            To the OP, yes it is exciting but i'll believe it when i see it in the commercial market. Im guessing it will never happen. Just my honest opinion

Comment

• bob the builder
              Former SC President
              • Feb 2003

Completely understood, and this wasn't directed at you... just a general rant for those who keep opposing electric vehicles and battery technology in general.

"All this shall one day come to pass, in God's good time..."

(A little 20,000 Leagues reference there... )
              The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

Working...
              X