X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Quick General Question- Deep Sea Design

Does anyone know what happened to Greg Sharpe & Deep Sea Design? I know he apparently is no longer in business, but does anyone know when he closed and why?
    Thanks!
    Tom
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

Greg and I were pretty close, both as friends and geographically. He's the one that helped me get my first sub in the water and I set him up with a new website for his business.

I can't recall specifically, but I think he had a rough go with a divorce and also the death of his father. That could have contributed to his decision to stop producing his plans.

Bob
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      No one
      • Jul 2003

Tom,

If your looking for his plans, Lee Upshaw of "The Scale Shipyard" told me he is licensed by Greg to sell his plans.

I purchased Greg's 688 Dwgs from him, came in on an "E" size print (33"x 44")

He can be had through...

The Scale Shipyard

Or FB as Lee Upshaw
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• tom dougherty
        • Jul 2005

Thanks for those answers. The question was raised by another model builder specifically about the Sturgeon class plans. We were discussing the mushroom anchor on the Sturgeon set from Deep Sea, which Mikromir used for their large 1/144 scale 637 Sturgeon kit with a GRP hull. sanding off the big, solid anchor and retaining the shape of the hull is a bit of a chore.

As Bill Lambing has pointed out, the Sturgeons did not have a mushroom anchor, but instead a fully retractable (into the hull) stern anchor. It appears that the enclosure for that anchor is also scribed into the hull at the stern. So the question arose as to where Greg received his information for drawing up the plans. So that particular point remains outstanding.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Ed, FYI, I don’t see plans listed anymore on the Scale Shipyard web site. I have the sets I need, but it looks like they may no longer be available from that source.

Tom
        Last edited by tom dougherty; 04-20-2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X