X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Telusboats6
    • Jan 2016

Thunder tiger Neptune

Putting the Neptune away for the winter and wondered how the bag can be dried out. The pump did it’s job until no water came out but I can’t help feeling that there is still some moisture in it. This could cause rot and possibly mold to form. Any ideas would be welcome.
  • Ralph --- SSBN 598
    • Oct 2012

There is the issue that the water will dry with the bag sides touching and bond together.
    Then while trying to inflate the and next season, the bag will tear.

Try filling the bag with air now and set it in such a way that the sides do not come back together and touch.
    Place the inlet hose up and left open.

Also you might try putting a little rubbing alcohol in the bag and sloshing it around.
    Alcohol will mix with water and drain out together.
    Then you keep the bag open with the inlet up and the remaining alcohol will evaporate quickly.

Be sure to test a few drops of alcohol on the outside of the bag you can see it and check to see that the bag can handle the alcohol on it or you can wipe it off and rinse it in water to get it off.

I live in the high desert.
    I had one boat that used blood pressure bag and I had to replace it every season due to drying out and cracking.

Comment

• Telusboats6
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Ralph --- SSBN 598 View Post
      There is the issue that the water will dry with the bag sides touching and bond together.
      Then while trying to inflate the and next season, the bag will tear.

Try filling the bag with air now and set it in such a way that the sides do not come back together and touch.
      Place the inlet hose up and left open.

Also you might try putting a little rubbing alcohol in the bag and sloshing it around.
      Alcohol will mix with water and drain out together.
      Then you keep the bag open with the inlet up and the remaining alcohol will evaporate quickly.

Be sure to test a few drops of alcohol on the outside of the bag you can see it and check to see that the bag can handle the alcohol on it or you can wipe it off and rinse it in water to get it off.

I live in the high desert.
      I had one boat that used blood pressure bag and I had to replace it every season due to drying out and cracking.
      Thanks for the info. I am going to try the first method first.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
        • Oct 2012

Let us know how this comes out.
        Really want to know.

Comment

• crueby
          • May 2015

I would be wary of the alcohol method, it all depends on the type of rubber the bag is made of. Many types will have the oils in the rubber leached out by alcohol, making it crack.

Comment

• Telusboats6
            • Jan 2016

The bag looks to be a fabric material that has been treated with a coating of some sort. I am going to stick with the first method. I have taken it out of the submarine and hung it up so that if there is any water in any form in it, it will be pulled down by gravity. The sides are not touching. Will check it monthly.

Comment

Working...
            X