X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrScoles
    • Jun 2021

FRSKY 900mhz radio

After trying to convert my old Futaba 14mz to 75mz. and doing more reading, I purchased a FRSKY X20 transmitter. It does dual output 2.4 and 900mhz. I got my HAM license back in 8th grade, this time I don't even need to know morse code! Is getting a HAM license one of the hurdles to people using 900mhz for subs?

It seems like a lot of people are trying to get a hold of old 75mhz radios and piece together receivers... These FRSKY transmitters have as much functionality as my $3000 Futaba 32MZ at 1/10th the price! The $40 receiver has a three-axis gyro, so pitch stabilization can be done simply through the radio.

I bought a RTR Engel Akula from Pete Gise here in the forum, its gonna hit the bathtub with the new RX this afternoon :-)

Am I missing something with this? Seems like this would be the ideal way to go, as long as the 900mhz penetrates the water as people say. The radios and receivers are cheap and attainable...

I watched the interview with Dave at the subfest lamenting about young people not getting into the hobby... using current programmable technology could make it more intriguing for some.
    Attached Files
  • ccontrol
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2012

900 has had some mixed reviews for subs so do report back! As I recall this was possibly due to the slant depth between the transmitter and receiver when the boat is submerged and at some distance. Also, love to hear what you think of the X20 and Ethos!

Comment

Working...
    X