Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cheapsub
    • Feb 2011

Lots of options with a Frankenstein transmitter(diy cheap!).
    From 27 MHz to 2.4GHz. Just change out the RF module.

Comment

• druiz100
      • Oct 2019

Yea finding 75mhz stuff is getting harder and harder for reg people to find stuff. Last year I had a list of 30 people who wanted brand new 75mhz systems. They said money is no option. So I got them their new 75mhz systems, new transmitters, new real futaba 75mhz modules, new futaba and Hitec real factory made 75mhz 8 channel receivers. The money I had to put out to buying those radio systems was alot, as in Five figures. Its was because I got 50 new systems put together that the cost was so high. All the systems always sold within 2 weeks on me getting them. Those were the fun days, made alot of people happy.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
        • Oct 2012

I have a couple of Futaba 75s.
        I have more boats than Tx.
        What I have been doing is building the boats so the controls will work on 1 of these Tx without changing any settings.
        I have to make sure the control horns and rods move as needed with the Tx controls.

So, at the lake, I choose a boat and I know it will run on a given Tx.
        I also bring a second boat that uses the same Tx and I bring a couple of extra Tx batteries.

Now some boats need mot channels than others but the Futaba Tx has 9 channels and most of my Rx are 8 channels.
        It work rather well for me.

I have started bring a recuse barge because of having loose contact with my Akula II lat November.
        The barge is on it's own channel and it has it's own Tx.
        This allows me to run the rescue barge while my other boat may be stranded out on the lake.
        5 submarines, two sail boats and a barge on 3 Tx.

Oh. The Futaba Tx has the ability to save a lot off different setups.
        I do not use that feature.
        One 1 setup per Tx and the various boat fit that setup.

Take a bit of work on control rods and servo horns but once you figure it out, it is not hard at all.

I only have to find Rx for the boats.

Comment

• subdude
          Official Peon
          • Feb 2003

On the other hand, I have 6 boats currently running, and 3 more soon (hopefully) to be completed. I have 1 transmitter. That's right, one. (okay, I have 2, but #2 is an exact duplicate of #1, programmed identically as a backup)

So, I go to the pool with whatever boats I want to run that day, and 1 transmitter. Turn on the TX, tell it what boat to load the program for, and off I go. I got tired of hauling a separate tx for each boat, and hoping each one's batteries were good, etc. Too much work for me. After the boat is built, it takes maybe 5 minutes to set the trims, endpoints, throttle curve, etc for that boat in the radio, and done.

Oh, and I soldered up a monster capacity battery pack for it, so I can run all 3 days of a meet without charging the TX.

To each their own. If it works for you, then it's all good.

Jim
          SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• sam reichart
            Past President
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by subdude View Post
            On the other hand, I have 6 boats currently running, and 3 more soon (hopefully) to be completed. I have 1 transmitter. That's right, one. (okay, I have 2, but #2 is an exact duplicate of #1, programmed identically as a backup)

So, I go to the pool with whatever boats I want to run that day, and 1 transmitter. Turn on the TX, tell it what boat to load the program for, and off I go. I got tired of hauling a separate tx for each boat, and hoping each one's batteries were good, etc. Too much work for me. After the boat is built, it takes maybe 5 minutes to set the trims, endpoints, throttle curve, etc for that boat in the radio, and done.

Oh, and I soldered up a monster capacity battery pack for it, so I can run all 3 days of a meet without charging the TX.

To each their own. If it works for you, then it's all good.

Jim
            what radio are you currently running Jim?

Comment

• subdude
              Official Peon
              • Feb 2003

what radio are you currently running Jim?
              Sam,

I'm running a Multiplex Royal Evo. 12 channels. Had the RF deck converted from 72 to 75mHz. It's an amazing radio, with more functions, adjustments, etc than you can imagine. You can assign any control on the radio to any channel, mix pretty much any channel to any other, etc. Set exponentials, end points, throw rates, throttle curves, multiple setups for the same model, multi model memory, etc.

Not kidding, I can set it up to run any boat. I was at an event a couple years ago and someone's TX died. I loaned them my spare, and in 3 or 4 minutes had it programmed to run his boat exactly as required.

Big Dave and Jeff LaRue both used them, and swayed me over to the "dark side".

Comment

• sam reichart
                Past President
                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by subdude View Post
                Sam,

I'm running a Multiplex Royal Evo. 12 channels. Had the RF deck converted from 72 to 75mHz. It's an amazing radio, with more functions, adjustments, etc than you can imagine. You can assign any control on the radio to any channel, mix pretty much any channel to any other, etc. Set exponentials, end points, throw rates, throttle curves, multiple setups for the same model, multi model memory, etc.

Not kidding, I can set it up to run any boat. I was at an event a couple years ago and someone's TX died. I loaned them my spare, and in 3 or 4 minutes had it programmed to run his boat exactly as required.

Big Dave and Jeff LaRue both used them, and swayed me over to the "dark side".
                it had always been interesting to me to be able to run multiple boats off one radio, instead of having two or three Futaba radios in the back of the car with the boats. I'll have to see if something like this is around (used). Did Radio South do the conversion for you?

Comment

• subdude
                  Official Peon
                  • Feb 2003

I got tired of hauling multiple radios a long time ago. My first "all-in-one" radio was a Polks Tracker 2, then went to the Tracker 3 when they released it. That radio worked well for many years. Meanwhile, BD and Jeff both kept extolling the virtues of the Evo, so I bought one (used, they've been out of production for years). Once I got used to the programming (not difficult, just different until you get your head around the concept) I was sold. I'll never go back to Oriental radios unless forced to, and especially will NEVER go back to one TX per boat.

The Evo pops up for sale occasionally on RCGroups, ebay, etc. That's the easy part. The difficult part is the RF deck. It's a removable board inside the TX, about 30mm x 60mm. The decks were produced for the Euro frequencies, and 72mHz for the US market. Unfortunately for us, the 72mHz RF decks were almost all synthesized (set to any channel) decks (HFM-S). Good for the pilots, bad for us. Multiplex did make a number of 72mHz single channel (crystal) decks (HFM-4), but they're difficult to come by. That's what we need.

Once in possession of the 72mHz deck, Jeff and I both sent them to the fellow who was Hitec's technician when they imported the EVO. He tuned the RF boards to use 75mHz Futaba crystals for us. I think BD sent them to Radio South, but I'm not really sure.

So there you have it. The EVO is not quite hen's teeth, but getting close. With a bit of work, it can be done. I know of a couple people who are still using the 72mHz synthesized deck, which I cannot condone, but when's the last time you saw someone flying on 72? At least a decade. What we really need to do is petition the FCC to open up 72 for surface use.

Anyway, hope this helps! Any questions, just ping me.

Comment

• druiz100
                    • Oct 2019

I love my Futaba FC-28 with a 75mhz module. I have someone building a Engel Type IX u-boat for me using that radio. Its an amazing radio.

Comment

Working...
                    X