Mission underway to save historic USS Ling submarine after devastating flood in murky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott t
    • Feb 2003

Mission underway to save historic USS Ling submarine after devastating flood in murky

Mission underway to save historic USS Ling submarine after devastating flood in murky N.J. river.

• salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

What would members think of the SC donating to the cause?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• sam reichart
      Past President
      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by salmon View Post
      What would members think of the SC donating to the cause?
      I think it would be a great idea, and a worthy cause.

Comment

• wlambing
        SubCommittee Member
        • Feb 2003

I motion that such a donation be put to a referendum vote by the membership! (Wow! I used a big word!!) Amount, say, not to exceed $2,000.

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

I second Bill’s motion. O.k. If you are a member in good standing (current on SC membership) make your voice heard. A simple yea or nay.
          (I may be jumping ahead, but as long as we are rolling with this let me here your vote)
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bharris
            • Jun 2004

yea!.......

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
              • Oct 2012

yea. . . . I would like to see these old relics pulled out of the water and put on land display. The maintenance up keep would go down considerably.

Comment

• bob_eissler
                SubCommittee Member
                • Aug 2005

yea..............

Comment

• wlambing
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Feb 2003

Yea!............... (stoopit 10 character low limit!)

Comment

• coryhenry
                    • Jun 2020

yea..............

Comment

• salmon
                      Treasurer
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by salmon View Post
                      I second Bill’s motion. O.k. If you are a member in good standing (current on SC membership) make your voice heard. A simple yea or nay.
                      (I may be jumping ahead, but as long as we are rolling with this let me here your vote)
                      O.K. not so simple yea or nay because of 10 character minimum LOL

Comment

• crueby
                        • May 2015

Yea, heck yea!

Comment

• tom dougherty
                          • Jul 2005

I admire the work being put in by the volunteers. I have been following the Ling story for several years

Does anyone know what the future plans are for Ling? Latest I could find is she has been refloated but the new owner of the property wants the submarine moved. He is blocking any reopening to the public. In one direction in the Passaic River there is a movable bridge that the sub can get by, but the Passaic river has silted up over the years such that there is not passable with Ling’s draft. The silt has toxic wastes, so the government has ruled out dredging a channel. The other direction is blocked by two permanent bridges. Quite a dilemma! At this point, they have also not located a new home for Ling either. I have not heard any update on plans going forward.

Her sister ship, Lionfish, (both products of Cramp Shipyard) is up at Battleship Cove in Massachusetts. That sub has been drydocked in the past for repairs and painting. She is virtually identical to Ling. Another submarine about to be unceremoniously disposed of is the only Guppy III conversion still extant, Clamagore, in South Carolina. Unique appearance of these conversions is obvious in Clamagore. In this case, the plan is to sink her as a reef. The exterior of Clamagore needs lots of work, but the interior is in very good condition. The current plan is to sink Clamagore off the coast.

Preserving these ships is an expensive and continuing maintenance effort. As mentioned, the best solution is to get them on dry land.

Comment

• coryhenry
                            • Jun 2020

I would think best option is to lift them onto a barge and move them on land where wanted. Getting rid of the watertight requirement would help considerably.

Comment

• jim smith
                              • Dec 2006

Yea, But I think we'll keep the Cobia in the water

Comment

Working...
                              X