• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radioman
    SubCommittee Member
    • Jul 2015

Some Thoughts

I have been reading some of the old posts and SCR. I am very new to the submarine hobby. I have built many rc ships for the last 20+ years. What has helped me over the years was the local model boat club. I live here in Southern Wisconsin so would have to travel to club events, which I would like to do to. Problem is that I am so new to this hobby I really do know what I am doing. Have printed 3d hulls with some success but when it comes to assemble now the problems start.

Here's a thought. How about a club build were everyone could build it together. Have it posted on line or have a live web cast. It's great to see you tube videos or read articles but doing a build with others might be very helpful. I would like to know how to build a wtc since I short on funds to buy one.

Just some thoughts from someone who has no clue on how to do things
  • bob the builder
    Former SC President
    • Feb 2003

The challenge with the club build idea is the fact that active members with the skills needed for a complete buildup are scattered all around the world. The logistics of getting together are pretty daunting. Perhaps a pre-organized event where everyone gets together and plows through by working 8hr days in an effort to finish as soon as possible would be feasible, but, again, hard to organize and get the right people in place. Maybe if the boat was a promotional or charity focus and could be marketed as such?

I think I've heard of a couple of boats that were built between two or three people, but it took a long time...
    The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      No one
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Radioman View Post
      I have been reading some of the old posts and SCR. I am very new to the submarine hobby. I have built many rc ships for the last 20+ years. What has helped me over the years was the local model boat club. I live here in Southern Wisconsin so would have to travel to club events, which I would like to do to. Problem is that I am so new to this hobby I really do know what I am doing. Have printed 3d hulls with some success but when it comes to assemble now the problems start.

Here's a thought. How about a club build were everyone could build it together. Have it posted on line or have a live web cast. It's great to see you tube videos or read articles but doing a build with others might be very helpful. I would like to know how to build a wtc since I short on funds to buy one.

Just some thoughts from someone who has no clue on how to do things
      There is a "Club Build", a few actually. One is called the SubCommittee Report, others can be Modelers who post on this Forum and others, as well as Modelers who post on YouTube as you mentioned.
      Though not a single boat being built by committee (Can you say too many cooks in the broth? Ego's abound when it comes to decisions!), what is already available in droves, is what your looking for! INFORMATION-HOW TO's!

Now you live in southern Wisconsin, correct? I see you want more than just "reading and video"? Granted you can ask anything you want here even though you may not be a fan of today's digital age, and I dig it as I agree nothing beats a meet with fellow like minded people where you can touch, smell, taste what's needed. Old school meeting in person, Regatta's, fun runs and Hobby Shop stuff.

Unfortunately, while you can purchase something from the comfort of the "throne" with a cell phone, the ability to hit a Hobby Shop, or Hobby EXPO has dwindled in modern times.

The world moves on, you can cry in your milk about it and accomplish nothing, or embrace the change and evolve. With tech, I'm doing things today I could never have imagined in the '90s. But I digress.

SO the answer also is, join up with one of our Local Chapters. They ARE the way to go...and grow!
      I would suggest SubRon6.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	SubRon6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	135964

Tim Smalley runs that group.

Tim, potential candidate for SubRon6!
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...
      X