• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    No one
    • Jul 2003

37 Pings : Death Throes of the USS Thresher

Aaron reads the ONI as released. USS SEAWOLF hearing pings some 24 hours later.

37 Pings : Death Throes of the USS Thresher

This sends shivers down my spine. Aaron is right, that is what they told us in Sub School it was instantaneous.

Apparently not so...
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • redboat219
    • Jan 2005

So it took Thresher 24 hours to slowly sink to crush depth?

Comment

• wlambing
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Then please explain the implosion noises recorded on the UQC by USS Skylark (ASR-20) at the time of the distress messages? I call bullshit!!!

Comment

• X Bubblehead
        • Sep 2017

I emailed the author of the original article and challenged him (and Jive Turkey) to an open forum debate to refute this nonsense. If the two have a shred of common sense between them, they will decline. If not, they will be most embarrassed.

The hull was toast. A former officer I worked with participated in one of the regular surveys the Navy conducts on the Thresher and Scorpion wreck sites to measure radiation levels and look for evidence of tampering. Both crews died in milliseconds after the hulls violently imploded.

CCC
        Last edited by X Bubblehead; 07-14-2021, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X