X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

Indonesian submarine missing

A German Type 209 in the Indonesian Navy. Built in 1978. Lost contact and was in 2300 ft of water

• navy2000
    • Jan 2007

I fear that at this time from when the sub was said to be lost that they are now on Eternal Patrol. In a post that I saw today they said they do not hear any noise coming from any where the sub was operating in, and that even if one person was still alive they would be tapping on the hull to say I am here come and get me. It was also mentioned that the sub may have been operating in waters that are deeper than the subs max depth. I hope that they can find them alive, but I fear that they are not.

After serving on subs my self I know what we were to do if we were down and still alive, and that was to do the tapping sounds as long as we could providing our location/ operating area. You don't want to let the wrong people know where you are if you are doing special ops.

Duane Curtis
    QM 2/SS

Comment

• X Bubblehead
      • Sep 2017

With the depth of the op area and limitations of the hull, chances are exceedingly slim for survival.

--As for dealing with contingencies in Indian country, we had three blocks of TNT placed in strategic locations ready for det cord and primers. Banging on the hull with hammers was never a consideration.

Comment

• tom dougherty
        • Jul 2005

They have recovered items that are apparently from the submarine. Area is 2800 feet deep, well below test depth and below estimated crush depth as well. Clearly the submarine was lost.

It would be useful if they can remotely photograph the wreckage to learn whatever can be seen from such an inspection.

Tom

Comment

• navy2000
          • Jan 2007

Here is the latest, the sub has been found in 850 meters of water depth in three parts.

Rest in peace my fellow sub mariners.

Duane

Comment

Working...
          X