X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ralph --- SSBN 598
    • Oct 2012

Do you use lithium batteries?

I came across this video where lithium batteries where damaged and the over charged.
    This caused them to explode.
    The video was to test a safety box for charging batteries.
    But it also shows how the batteries explode and immediately burst in to flames.

The last few year I have been replacing my LiPO batteries with LiFe batteries.
    Also been using NiMH batteries in my boats. (12V)
    I still have some LiPO batteries in use.

178K views, 433 likes, 10 loves, 63 comments, 128 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Flite Test: WHEN LITHIUM BATTERIES EXPLODE...
  • coryhenry
    • Jun 2020

Looks like a sound device

Comment

• Sonar
      • Jul 2017

Nope, I would never use LiPO in a boat, I use LiFe.

Comment

• salmon
        Treasurer
        • Jul 2011

I do use LiPo. I had one explode while being charged about a year ago. I was lazy or over confident and burned a hole in the shop carpet. That was an eye opener for me. I make sure to place them in a charging bag and in a metal container. I have also moved more to NiMh. Since I am getting 3+ hour run time on them, not sure I want to use LiPo again.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
          • Oct 2012

Tom, we seem to be traveling down the same battery learning curve.
          I too get 3+ hours on the NiMH batteries.

I usually finish before the batteries.
          Al thought, I did run my Akula II batteries completely down to where the BEC kick in and caused me to build a rescue boat.
          I have changed to LiFe batteries for my Tx(s).

I have never had a fire of explosion but I have had 3 batteries swell up and break the heat shrink wrappers.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            No one
            • Jul 2003

I use a cheap 50cal Ammo can from Harbor Freight for charging and storage.
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• bob_eissler
              SubCommittee Member
              • Aug 2005

A good charger should be your first investment in Lipo. I have had 2 batteries well up before I got a good charger. Also, discharge a LIPO battery before storing it. All new technology has a learning curve, doesn't mean it ls bad or should be avoided. I have gotten away from NIMH, sure they work but you can't charge them up the day before and expect them to have a good charge. Also, they take longer to charge and are larger in size and weight generally. I switched to LIPO when I started building smaller subs.

Comment

• schmitty
                • Aug 2006

I have been using Lipo batteries in RC things since before they where actually marketed for RC things. In the early days it meant buying surplus cellphone and laptop packs and taking them apart. I've only had one fire ever but it was quite recently and was completely my fault. I had the charger on the wrong number of cells and it way over charged the pack. I was in the room the whole time. I heard a crackle and looked over to see the battery was twice its normal size. I quickly unplugged it and took it outside and threw it on the ground. it smoked a little bit than nothing for several minutes. I thought it was done then suddenly POW! it was like a flame thrower shooting out of one end. within a minute there was almost nothing left of it.

Over the years I've seen several lead acid batteries explode in cars and once in a submarine model. Always due to improper charging, often an old battery that's reluctant to charge and someone leaves it on the charger for way too long. Any type of stored energy is dangerous whether it is a battery or a wound up spring or pressurized vessel etc. Always make an effort towards safety.

I would certainly still use Li-polys, just use a lot of care especially while charging.

Comment

Working...
                X