Would you buy never take your sub out of the water to charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Would you buy never take your sub out of the water to charge?

So, no one bought into the nuclear battery in the sub, how about never take your sub out of the water to charge?

Underwater robots that operate autonomously could find use in all kinds of areas, from studying the ocean to the exploration of other planets. Scientists at Purdue University have developed a type of mobile docking station that not only enables these machines to stop by for a recharge, but offload…

This flies in the face of venting while charging, but still pretty cool.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • Ralph --- SSBN 598
    • Oct 2012

Interesting idea.

However for me, I find that I can run for 4 hours continuously and still have enough battery left to run again for 3 hours. (usually the next day)
    I take a second boat battery with me as a back up but have never had to use it.
    I have run down Tx batteris and take 2 backups with me. (usually lasts the first day but not all of the second day)
    I have loaned batteries out a couple of times to others who's batteries ran down. (usually NiCad)
    Haven't tried longer because I personally need to eat and rest in about 5 hours. <G>

With this nuc battery, will I have to register with the NRC?

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Ralph, you and I both can run for hours. In fact, I have yet to run my batteries out on a couple of my boats. There was another tech article about a new design that will boost LiPo battery density over 10x and allow super fast charging. All that said, it is fun to bring up the different technologies to see what is going on and what may come to our hobby.
      As far as registration requirements for using nuclear batteries, probably. LOL Anyway to get another dollar.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
        • Oct 2012

You noticed as well.
        Any time governement makes a new law, it all about them gertting more of my money.

Back to batteries.
        I have ordered 2 LiFe batteries and so far, I get ordered canceled messages.
        Can not import to USA.
        I will keep trying.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          No one
          • Jul 2003

Avg 1 Amp Cruising (dynamically recorded)

15Ah SLA battery capacity.

Do the math.

But I hear ya on the new tech...power density makes it's mark in the smaller 1:96 scale boats.
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS KRAKEN-USS PATRICK HENRY-HMS VENGEANCE-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...
          X