X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveT44
    • Jul 2020

New member says hi!

Hello all, new forum member here. Just wanted to say hi and see who is running subs in the Maryland area? I've started my first sub build (Mobeus 1/72 Skipjack) and look forward to getting it on the pond at some point.

Regards,

Steve Tyng
    Rockville MD
  • eckloss
    • Nov 2003

Hi Steve... Welcome aboard!

You are only a 1hr15m drive from Jim Butt and the SubComEast group that meets in New Freedom, PA. They run at a large indoor pool once a month through the fall/winter/spring months. Usually a good turnout and there are subs and surface boats alike. Runs are the second Sunday of each month, from 10a-1p. Afterwards, most of the crew meet for lunch at a local pizza and sandwich shop, usually lasting a couple hours. You'll find a wealth of information with these folks. Jim has been a SubCommittee member since the early days, and is always eager to lend a helping hand. He also has built the same boat you are and I'm sure could give you some pointers.

Jim, can you chime in here?

-erich

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Steve,
      Welcome aboard!
      The skipjack is a wonderful first sub to build!
      We are here to help. There are some builds on this site that may help you.
      Peace,
      Tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SteveT44
        • Jul 2020

Well it's good to see there's some local action with SubComEast. That indoor swimming pool in PA will be a novelty. I've been in warship combat for a few years and a pool will be an upgrade from the moss laden mud pits that I'm used to. Speaking of warship combat where we use CO2 to power bb cannons, I'm building my systems from my combat parts bin. I'm planning on a free flooding design with a CO2 ballast system.

Some teaser pics until a get a build thread up and running.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SJ2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	134795 Click image for larger version

Name:	SJ3.jpg
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	134796 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200719_110627884.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	134797

Comment

• subdude
          Official Peon
          • Feb 2003

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the insanity!

PM me your email address, and I'll get you on the SubComEast mailing list. Erich has done a fine job of telling you the details. Shrewsbury PA is 4 miles north of the PA/MD border, about 25 miles north of Baltimore. As E said, probably 1:15 - 1:30 drive for you. Hope you'll come out and join the fun. You're also most welcome at my place anytime, if you want to bring your boat by to test, build, etc. I live near the Y, and have a 40 gal "test tank". I also host "build days" in my shop from time to time (once this stupid virus thing goes away).

As you're used to warship combat, I'll assume that I don't have to warn you of the dangers of CO2. I built my 1/48 fleet boat with a full CO2 ballast system 25 years ago. I wrote an article about CO2 ballast systems probably 15 or so years ago for the SCR. It still works great, but I've moved to piston and pump ballast systems since then, far simpler and easier to maintain. We can discuss that at another time, but I will warn you that you'll use a LOT more CO2 in a ballast system than with your guns.

Anyway, welcome, and please consider joining. The information in all the back issues of the SCR is priceless, and a fantastic resource.

Jim Butt
          SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• SteveT44
            • Jul 2020

Originally posted by subdude View Post
            Hi Steve,

As you're used to warship combat, I'll assume that I don't have to warn you of the dangers of CO2. I built my 1/48 fleet boat with a full CO2 ballast system 25 years ago. I wrote an article about CO2 ballast systems probably 15 or so years ago for the SCR. It still works great, but I've moved to piston and pump ballast systems since then, far simpler and easier to maintain. We can discuss that at another time, but I will warn you that you'll use a LOT more CO2 in a ballast system than with your guns.

Anyway, welcome, and please consider joining. The information in all the back issues of the SCR is priceless, and a fantastic resource.

Jim Butt
            CO2 safety will not be an issue. As an ex Navy engineer (GSM) I have a healthy respect for pressurized systems. Besides the warship combat, I was also heavily involved in RC tank combat were we built 1:6 scale CO2 powered paintball tanks. On CO2 consumption, I ran the numbers and theoretically, a 4oz bottle will fill a 500ML tank around 42 times. Will have to see how that works out in practice. If I find I get into the subs, I will most definitely look into more advanced ballast systems.

Some past RC CO2 work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	25turret-large.jpg
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	134798Click image for larger version

Name:	23chassis-large.jpg
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	134799Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2711.jpg
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	134800Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2704.jpg
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	134801

Comment

• sam reichart
              Past President
              • Feb 2003

welcome to the club! nice "little" tank you have there! (looks like a Tiger?)

Comment

• SteveT44
                • Jul 2020

Originally posted by sam reichart View Post
                welcome to the club! nice "little" tank you have there! (looks like a Tiger?)
                British Cromwell

Comment

• sam reichart
                  Past President
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by SteveT44 View Post
                  British Cromwell
                  Crap, I wasn’t even close...

Comment

Working...
                  X