X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eckloss
    • Nov 2003

Proposal for an award in the memory of Jeff LaRue

I'd just like to throw out the idea of creating an award in memory of Jeff Larue for excellence in U-boat construction and engineering, to be awarded annually at the Carmel Fun Run.

I would be happy to arrange for an engraved plaque.

Thoughts?

-erich
  • wlambing
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Seconded!!!

Bill

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

Tell me more! I think it is a brilliant idea.
      Awarded to those that attend? or is it open to all members in good standing? How is it judged? What are the criteria?
      Keep the conversation going!
      Peace,
      Tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• sam reichart
        Past President
        • Feb 2003

I think this is a great idea as well.

Comment

• eckloss
          • Nov 2003

My idea is to keep it simple, and local. Much the same idea as the Big Dave award. This would be awarded to the captain of a German U-boat of any area or configuration that shows exceptional skill in both building/engineering and its general aesthetics. I believe it should be confined to the Carmel runs or any future eastern US major fun run of the year, since Jeff was such a huge part of the eastern SubRegattas and the Carmel annual fun runs. The contest would consist of an anonymous ballot done in person on the Saturday of the Fun Run. And once someone wins, that particular boat is not eligible to enter the running for five years, in order to keep the same boats to hog all the awards.

Comment

• salmon
            Treasurer
            • Jul 2011

Since we are not a local group, but an international one, I have a hard time looking at it in a narrow confine of local. Jeff was a big part of eastern runs, but he supported our organization. I suppose if it is a local effort and not a SC award, then it is a local decision. If it is an SC award, then I do not think it should just be an East Coast thing.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• eckloss
              • Nov 2003

Tom,

I was basically going on the same premise as the Big Dave Award, which is given at the Carmel Fun Runs, because Dave's stomping grounds were the eastern states. I think the same logic applies to Jeff and anything done in his honor.

Let's not turn this into a big, technical discussion and get bogged down in details, what-ifs, and such. Like I said, I'll be happy to arrange and pay for the plaques each year, so in that sense, it doesn't have to be literally a part of the SubCommittee at large.

We have awards that are only given at the Carmel fun run. This should simply be just one more.

-erich

Comment

• bob_eissler
                SubCommittee Member
                • Aug 2005

I like that Erich, very nice.
                Tom, I see your point, makes sense too if we can get good attendance at other regattas as well. Otherwise, Carmel seems like the de facto regatta right now.

Comment

• greg w
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Mar 2010

I think it’s a great idea I never physically met Jeff but I have had several direct e mail conversations with him. I would only add that he would want a write up about the award winner for the sc report. Greg

Comment

• jefftytoo
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Mar 2003

Any way JeffL gets honored and remembered is okay by me—local or national. I thinks it’s great his old running mates want to put something special together for him. Go for it, boys!

Comment

• thor
                      SubCommittee Member
                      • Feb 2009

IMHO, I think it should apply to any and all SC members. Jeff was a very long time member of the SC, and the editor of the SCR for the entire SC, not just the East Coast. His memories belong to all of us, not just a select group. Jeff has friends everywhere in this country. Jeff was a dear friend of mine. I miss him.

I do have the mold for the big SC logo, if anyone needs a casting. Just a thought.
                      Last edited by thor; 04-23-2020, 11:03 PM.
                      Regards,

Matt

Comment

• eckloss
                        • Nov 2003

Matt, Tom...

The more I think about it, the more I agree: Subcommittee wide.

Perhaps an annual award, by popular vote from both the forums and the Facebook group.

Comment

• dono
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Feb 2003

Erich,

Both Patti and I agree it is a great idea to have a Jeff LaRue U-boat
                          Engineering award. As you mentioned, Jeff was a great contributor to the SubCommittee as well
                          as a very talented modeler.
                          At Carmel, the Captain Choice awards are voted on by the registered Captains.
                          There is no scale judging competition so as to keep things fun and easy.

We can certainly have both the Big Dave’s Engineering Award and a Jeff LaRue Engineering Award.
                          We can modify the Voting tickets for the Big Dave’s Engineering award to include a spot to vote
                          for the Jeff Larue U-Boat Engineering award also.
                          Let us know what you think.

Comment

• eckloss
                            • Nov 2003

Don,

Seems like things are leaning towards a full Subcommittee wide award, not limited to the Carmel fun run.

Would the EC chime in here?

Comment

• mickm
                              • May 2004

I agree, this is an excellent idea! I'm not sure about my thoughts towards the award only being given at the Carmel run. Since we are a global community and Jeff helped many, around the globe, who has never gotten to attend the Carmel run, there seems like it should be available to all members. I do like the part about it going to the Captain of a great built U-Boat since that was Jeff's main interest.
                              Just my two cents.
                              Mickm

Comment

Working...
                              X