• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2020

flying sub

I'm new to the forum and rc subs. Working on my first build the Moebius Flying Sub. I am looking to contact the gentleman here who has a build of one. Saw him on video on youtube in front of the sub committee booth at a meet. He was being interviewed and showing it off. I would love to talk and to him and learn from his knowledge. Still learning the ins and out so forgive all the questions I am sure to have.
    Thanks Guys
    Craig
  • scott t
    • Feb 2003

Hi Craig, welcome to SCR. The flying sub is gonna be a cool build.

Until the mysterious gentleman with the flying sub pipes in where are you on your build?

Comment

• Craig
      SubCommittee Member
      • Mar 2020

Very beginning, waiting on sub to arrive. doing a lot of research and picking peoples brains. Here and Bob over on drydocks. I just have to see what I have for space before I go too far. I'd like to keep it looking original (within Reason)

Comment

• bob_eissler
        SubCommittee Member
        • Aug 2005

Subcommittee people have done some flying sub builds. Hard to tell who you are referring to without the picture. Rick Teskey is the expert on them and made his own molds long before the kit came out. Patty Osler built and runs her sub often. Big Dave and Crazy Ivan have built them. Some searches should come up with something. Big Dave had an article but I think he used a hosting site for the images (please don't don't use a hosting site, we have lost so much valuable info because of that). I have one started and can take pictures but have never finished the build.

Comment

• Craig
          SubCommittee Member
          • Mar 2020

Found the video David Marquez, Mare Island. But I am open to anyone with advice experience or ideas.

Comment

• Craig
            SubCommittee Member
            • Mar 2020

Would love to see your pictures Bob

Comment

• bob_eissler
              SubCommittee Member
              • Aug 2005

Sorry it took me so long. Reach out to the Subcommittee members I mentioned in a previous post. They might not be on here often enough to see this thread.
              Attached Files

Comment

• bob_eissler
                SubCommittee Member
                • Aug 2005

The drive units were mentioned in Big Dave's Moebius FS-1 build. Unfortunately he is not around anymore to help. Maybe we can reach out to his cousin, Don May, and see if he has any of Big Dave's images.

Comment

• Craig
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Mar 2020

Bob, how do I search for the people you mentioned. Still trying to learn these boards. And thanks for the pictures. Are those a type of bilge pump?

Comment

• Craig
                    SubCommittee Member
                    • Mar 2020

Would Dave have gone by Sub Dave on rc groups?

Comment

• crueby
                      • May 2015

Those look like a Rule brand pump, google Rule Pump. They make a few variants.

Comment

• greg w
                        SubCommittee Member
                        • Mar 2010

Yes Big Dave as we new him here was sub Dave on rc groups

Comment

• Craig
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Mar 2020

Thank you. Prayers for him and family

Comment

• crazy ivan
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Feb 2003

Hi Craig,
                            Got your PM, and I would be happy to share what I know about converting the Moebius FS-1 to a working RC model. Before we get into specific details, I think it might be useful if you could read the following thread, which was started by PaulC about four years ago when a number of us were each working out our own versions of how to proceed.

This thread is not a step by step build log, but rather an exchange of ideas by a bunch of guys with a common goal sort of making it up as we go. Don't the 18 pages scare you off. Much of it is just good natured banter. But amongst the chatter is a good discussion of the issues at hand. Among the contributors are myself, Paul, Big Dave, Kevin McLeod (our electronics wizard) and Rick Teskey (pioneer of all things Flying Sub). You may find a lot of your initial questions answered here, and maybe some new questions raised that you hadn't thought of before. In any case, I'm glad to help you in any way I can. Welcome aboard!
                            sigpic
                            "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

• crazy ivan
                              SubCommittee Member
                              • Feb 2003

Found it...

Big Dave's build can be seen here:

Sadly, as Bob pointed out, all the photos that brought the thread to life were lost when Postimage went south on us. Still, Dave's narrative is full of interesting detail and is well worth a look.
                              sigpic
                              "There are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the Avenger!" - Captain Nemo

-George Protchenko

Comment

Working...
                              X