X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feet wet
    • Mar 2003

Live fire torpedo tests

I don't know how many live fire tests were done on the east coast during WW 2, but I do know of a series done at Bar Harbor, Maine. Starting in 1944, Bald Porcupine Island, at the time privately owned but leased to the Navy for the duration of the war for $1 and now part of Acadia Nat'l Park, situated about 1/2-3/34 of a mile from the Bar Harbor Town pier, was used for several series of live tests by aircraft dropped torpedoes, surface ship fired, and submarine launched torpedoes.
    In the latter case, the USS Piper visited and overnited at Bar Harbor. During her series of test she fired all her tubes at the Island, which is approximately 160' high, with vertical cliffs on the southern side that extend to ocean bottom 100' down. I attached a map of Mount Desert Island that shows the close proximity of Bald Porcupine to Mount Desert Island and downtown Bar Harbor, pictures of the USS Piper entering and leaving harbor, copies of her firing report with cover letter, and a photo of one of her torpedoes impacting the Island.
    If one visits the island today, torpedo parts can be readily found, but being part of a National park, it is strictly prohibited to remove them. With the firing report describes the warheads and exploders fired, it does not describe the torpdoes themselves. Some were definately electric in drive because their motors have been found atop the Island.
    A last note, even thought the firing report indicated that all shots exploded, the Navy undertook two EOD surveys of the waters around the Island. I have not been able to locate reports of those surveys.
    Attached Files
Working...
X