• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

Gato Class Mine Cable Cutters

While perusing the latest additions to the submarine section of navsource.org, I came across a description for the image below that caught my attention: "Growler (SS-215), bow view looking aft on 30 December 1941. Very rare photo as it shows the mine cutting gear sticking out from its hull location."

What this refers to is the projection sticking out over the planks lashed to the side of the bow. There is a long door in the superstructure curve that is tilted back above it. There is one on each side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0821504.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	137331

I've seen these doors before in early Gatos. I've just never come across a reference as to what they were for. Not to doubt the original poster of the description but has anyone else heard of these? I'm very interested.
    Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><
  • sam reichart
    Past President
    • Feb 2003

well that is really interesting. never heard of a fleet boat with any cable cutting gear.

Comment

• salmon
      Treasurer
      • Jul 2011

That is a jewel of a find. I learned something new.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• PaulC
        Administrator
        • Feb 2003

Thanks guys, it blew me away -- especially after looking at this photo previously and not even seeing them. Funny how the mind works.
        Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
        <><

Comment

Working...
        X