A few photos. Carmel, IN. June 2, 2018. Part 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parallax
    SubCommittee Member
    • Aug 2017

Erich,
    It just occurred to me, you really get around to all kinds of events man. How do you pull it off?

Comment

• eckloss
      • Nov 2003

I try to get to as many events within a 5-hour radius as I can. This puts me at some of the fun runs in Rochester, NY.....obviously the SubComEast fun runs and build days near Jim Butt's house in Shrewsbury, PA..... any event I can possibly get to in Carmel, IN, both the local SubRon and Indy Admirals events. I've been to the Sub Base at Groton, CT 5 or 6 times over the years. But that is over a 10 hour drive each way. Sometimes I'm just not up to it. But even still I have made the trek to David Merriman's house in Virginia, and Bob Martin's workshop in Florida. Loooong trips. Most are scheduled far enough in advance that I can make the time to get there. I live in a no-so-big city in northern West Virginia. Not exactly much to do around here, unless you make the drive north to Pittsburgh (Pens hockey games are a usual destination). So going to these fun runs and gatherings really helps get me away from here and helps to keep my sanity in check.

Comment

• chips
        • Feb 2003

This facility in Carmel is about the size of a football field. On Saturday the 1/96th scale guys ran mostly on the east third; SubRon 6 had the middle third for the larger subs; and the Admirals set out some buoys on the western third - mainly for the models larger than 1/96th scale, but all boats were able to run through the buoys.

Saturday's weather was perfect, clear skies and a light breeze. Sunday morning the wind was a little stronger, creating about a scale 20' sea. I ran my model of USCGC MANITOU (WYT-60) for about 10 minutes. Running into and with the wind was not a not a problem; tryin to turn around caused some serious rolls of 45 degrees or more. None of the larger ships ventured out of port while I was there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0433.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	131711 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0434.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	131712 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0446.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	131713
        USCGC MANITOU (WYT-60), USCGC CHEROKEE (WMEC-165), USS PCE-875, AVENGER class MCM, USS BARB (SSN-596)
        Last edited by chips; 06-03-2018, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X