• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wingtip
    SubCommittee Member
    • Dec 2004

Just uploaded a vid

A small video on my wet nellie project thats been ongoing now for over 10 years.... lol....

Nice.

Two things

1. Cylindrical enclosures don't necessarily have to be long and thin, they can be short and fat and then stood on end, like a cylindrical box. They could also be ellipsoid, which can also be light, yet very strong.

2. With a piston tank you will need to keep the volume of the enclosure fairly high, generally about six to seven times the volume of the tank.

How much freeboard are you looking for? Can't imagine the Lotus will work well on the surface. If you aim for low freeboard, the tank and watertight compartment can be made smaller.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• wingtip
      SubCommittee Member
      • Dec 2004

its something that will just have to be delt with at that time if it is a serious issue but i suspect even when surfaced the props will still be well into the water as well as the rudders so im not "expecting" a total loss of control here...

... the wtc will be in the ballpark of 9.5 inches x 15-17 inches by several inches tall..

Comment

That'll be a heavy boat (car?) to cart about when dry. You would only need an enclosure with volume of about 3-4 litres for the size of tank you have.

Comment

• bob the builder
          Former SC President
          • Feb 2003

I'd almost suggest simply making the car a dynamic diver, or at least with a tiny ballast tank, likely pressurized pump or small piston tank. I don't recall the movie well, but most of the footage was the car under the water, so no need for really high freeboard to replicate a scene (unless I'm forgetting one)
          The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• wingtip
            SubCommittee Member
            • Dec 2004

it was never shown as surfaced, only as it drove out of the water.. yeah it will be a heavy little sucker... but it will need to be to take down that volume of a wtc lol.. thats why im trying to lay it out as much as possible in cad to see how tight i can squeeze it all in... all post a current screenie when i get home from work...

Comment

Why do you require such a large watertight enclosure. What is it you're planning to pack in there?

Comment

• wingtip
                SubCommittee Member
                • Dec 2004

well i still need room for the servo's for the torpedo bay, the pop up headlights, the rear license plate that reveals the tubes for the oil slick which i need room for a syringe or pump to pump food coloring through tubes to the back, still havent decided if i want the mine drop underneath as in the movie... so there is a lot of crap i want to stuff in there eventually... thats why it requires such a dam large wtc.. scale operations boys.....

a few pics of some parts in solidworks

Image1 by Dave Townsend, on Flickr

Image2 by Dave Townsend, on Flickr

Comment

• wingtip
                  SubCommittee Member
                  • Dec 2004

Just uploaded another video, much shorter this time lol... https://youtu.be/PQtJsHgfmHI

Comment

Working...
                  X