• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thor
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2009

Japanese Kairyu at Groton

Would anyone have access to the Japanese WWII Kairyu in Groton? I need some photos of the underside of the hull to locate the floods/drains. I know they have been welded over, but their location will still be visible. I'll be glad to compensate you for your time! Please PM me if you can help.
    Regards,

Matt
  • hunter h
    SubCommittee Member
    • Apr 2016

hi Thor no help with flood holes but if this is the same sub that was in Mystic Sea port in the 50's I was able to climb in side and check it out for a long time as we stayed overnight on are family boat and you were able to walk around after hours. I think I was later moved to Groton years later. saw it there a few years ago. hunter

Comment

• wlambing
      SubCommittee Member
      • Feb 2003

Matt,

She didn't have floods and drains. I gozinta and one gozouta. Internal ballast tanks (trim tanks), with no free flood area to speak of. She was mostly warhead and people tank. The cuts that appeared all over that poor beast at the base were meant to show off the internal workings, which ultimately almost destroyed the thing. The "restoration" work, what little has been done on it, is abyssmal!!! The hull cuts were plated over to keep her from fully dissolving. There are a bunch of drawings and such on the net for the type. One of our SubRon 4 guys, Tim Fisher, has a butt-ton of info on the Kairyus. I'll give him a shout and see if he can help.

B^)

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
        • Oct 2012

Matt,
        There are a few sources for drawings.
        The Type 1 and type 2 versions show internal ballast tanks with pipe plumbing and no free flooding tanks.
        They were ballasted at the dock using concrete blocks before setting out on mission.

Here is one of the clearer drawings I have found.

Comment

• thor
          SubCommittee Member
          • Feb 2009

Thanks, I have all of that information and a ton more. I even have 2 texts from Japan on the kairyu, but none of it shows the penetrations for handling the ballast water. There is an aft and a forward trim tank, with a large central ballast tank in the center. A high pressure air system is used to blow the ballast. The question is, where is the water getting into and out of the system. I'm in the final stages of detailing the Kairyu patterns. I really want to get this right.

Thanks, Bill! Maybe Tim will have something on it.
          Regards,

Matt

Comment

• feet wet
            • Mar 2003

I did research for a book a while back and it included acquiring photos of this class boat. I took the easy route. I called the base and spoke with a very nice Chief in the PA office who ran out and shot a dozen photos of the boat and sent them to me. I don't have immediate access to my stash, but if you could wait a couple of weeks I will send them to you.
            Jonathan

Comment

Working...
            X