• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • graydon
    • Aug 2004

Google Maps

Hi Guys,
    I was looking at Google maps yesterday and got sidetracked a little. I noticed Severodvinsk on the map so I zoomed in to the shipyards and saw this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-06 09_35_58-Severodvinsk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	136557

I thought this was really cool to be able to see and identify a Typhoon from a Google earth photo.
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

Look around, there are at least two other types of subs there too!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
      • Oct 2012

That is one of three typhoons.
      Of the three only one is sea worthy.
      The one in the photo may be the operational one.
      In the last month or so, 1 typhoon was reported to have move to an east coast port in Russia.
      During that N Korean Navy op.
      If you look straight north in the photo you will find the other 2 typhoons tied up near the opening to the port.
      Couple of years back all 3 typhoons where tied up on the north side.
      Then one was move to the dock to the right of where it is in the photo behind where that large surface ship is.

I count 13 submarines in the harbor in this photo.
      Only issue is the date on Google Earth for this photo is June 1, 2013.

I have a very long list of submarines found on Google Earth.
      I look often and from time to time some subs are missing and others are found in different locations.

I have a web site I put museum that have submarines or parts of submarines.
      I also put article I have found about the submarines found.

Comment

• tommydeen
        • Nov 2003

Have a look up around polyarny to there is some good pics there, IE the big white barns on the water?! The sub bases north west of polyarny are still good to.. Gramika used to be but it's a village/nuc cleanup site now it's still interesting to have a look around
        sigpic. You have to ask yourself one question...would the admiral approve

Comment

Working...
        X