X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    • Jan 2005

How many radios do you need?

Let's say you got 6 operational model submarines, do you have a dedicated TX/RX for each model or just swap out units depending what you got at the pond?
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

I use the same transmitter for all my r/c sub models. Since it is a programmable radio, I have a setup for each model that is customized for a given boat.

On the other hand, I do have several radios....for backup or replacement. Given the difficulty in acquiring 75MHz-based radios, having more than one is a good idea.

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
      • Oct 2012

I have one Tx. It has a module with all channels dial-able in 75mhz.
      I have all my Rx on the same channel but I have two more channels available within crystals for the RX if needed.
      I also program the Tx for the various boats.

At this time I have no backup Tx.

Comment

Unless you go in for lots of auxiliary functions, a simple non computer TX is adequate for the vast majority of subs.

For the unusual subs that require mixers etc. usually you will need to put the mixer onboard the boat. Computer sets give some advantages like being able to adjust servo throws and centre points digitally.

Comment

• redboat219
          • Jan 2005

I got one of these for my KILO https://www.rc.futaba.co.jp/english/...ound/4gwd.html

Guess I can use it when i build my Tumpeter Seawolf and 1/72 Revell Type VII. I would need to transfer the Rx from boat to boat.

I have an old 6ch 72mhz JR Propo that I plan to use as a back up ( illegal but since everybody else shifted to 2.4 I can probably use it )
          Last edited by redboat219; 11-26-2015, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• bigdave
            • Feb 2003

I will have to disqualify myself from the question.
            If you are asking how many radios do I need the answer would sound far fetched.
            I have never counted but maybe 30.
            See I told you.
            But I will go with Jeff. One good computer radio and a back up / parts spare.
            Just for the sake of only dealing with one set of batteries to charge it makes sense.
            If you had 6 subs that's would be 6 sets of batteries to keep up.
            Not to mention the advantages of a good computer radio. BD
            sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
            "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• subdude
              Official Peon
              • Feb 2003

I have 2 Tracker 3 transmitters, both programmed identically, to run all the boats. I also have 2 Spectrum DXYi transmitters programmed identically for all the surface / air stuff.

Yeah, I like redundancy.
              SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time.....)

Comment

• redboat219
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Ralph --- SSBN 598 View Post
                I have one Tx. It has a module with all channels dial-able in 75mhz.
                I have all my Rx on the same channel but I have two more channels available within crystals for the RX if needed.
                I also program the Tx for the various boats.

At this time I have no backup Tx.
                I presume you got separate rx in each boat and just run the tx program to the specific boat.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
                  • Oct 2012

"I presume you got separate rx in each boat and just run the tx program to the specific boat. "
                  ----------------------------------------
                  You are correct.
                  The Tx is programmable and has several model memory I can select, I can choose a boat and then dial in the Rx channel as needed.
                  When I knew Futaba was going to discontinue 75mhz, I bought 4 or 5 Rx and 3 different channel crystals.
                  I yet to change the crystals but I have them in case of conflict at the pond.
                  It's just easier to wait my turn if I have to. So far that hasn't happened.

Comment

• redboat219
                    • Jan 2005

Thanks for the inputs.

Comment

Working...
                    X