X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stephen Vick
    • Mar 2005

I'm back in the game!

Many years and many miles of water under my keel and I am back in the R/c Sub game... I retired from the Navy in 2011 and have since finished a History degree, re-married and have generally started a new life (yes there is life after the Navy). I'm hoping to pick up on some old friendships and start some new ones. I will be posting my projects soon!
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Hi Steve,

Welcome back! Glad to hear that the R/C sub bug is still alive and well.

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Stephen Vick
      • Mar 2005

Thanks Jeff... Guess the last time we met was 1999 fun run in Va Beach eh? I stayed active on the West Coast between deployments, of course I had to adapt my boats to salt water. The Model boat pond in San Diego was tidal fed... Retirement and subsequent college work put everything on halt for a few years... Now, I'm still in school working on a masters and teaching certification, and I am working full time for the school district but.... I am determined to get some boats in the water again. We dug a big pond in the backyard (15x13x4 ft 2200 gal) which serves as my test tank. I graciously allow my wife to keep koi fish in it as well... I have found a nice spot on the Concho River to run (can't use the local lake, Billy Joe Jim Bob rules the lake, drunk, in a bass boat) Everything is there for Submarine fun, except other participants. I'm working on the guys at the local flying field... Anyway, its great to be back!

Comment

• JWLaRue
        • Aug 1994

Still have your Arleigh Burke? I'm hoping got start my build sometime over the next couple of months. (have a Maiale to finish first)

-Jeff
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Stephen Vick
          • Mar 2005

Dennis Allen had the Burke... Although, I served on two of them since I saw you last: USS Lassen DDG 82, and USS Decatur DDG 73.... Lots of TLAM strikes and counter insurgency ops since 9/11. So... I am pretty up on details for Flt II and Flt II A Burke class DDG's if ya need some help. Kurt Greiner (Warship Models Underway) published a rather nice book on the subject as well. I've kept up building surface ships over the years, we had Task Force 96 and the Eighth Fleet in SoCal. Dave Manley kept me in the sub game in San Diego.

Comment

• JWLaRue
            • Aug 1994

ahhh...my bad. You were 'playing' with a real one...not a model. I knew there was a DDG in your past. LOL!

Kurt's book is one of the references that I've been 'memorizing' as I figure out which of the class to build.

-Jeff
            Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Stephen Vick
              • Mar 2005

Kurt is a great guy and probably the best source for all unclassified DDG 51 info... Also watch the TNT series "The Last Ship" and Tom Hanks Movie "Captain Phillips", both are exceedingly accurate. If I ever build one it will be Decatur... I was ANav and prize crew Nav for the post 9/11 deployment, lotsa memories...

Comment

• JWLaRue
                • Aug 1994

I assume you've seen Destroyer: Forged in Steel on the Discovery channel?

-Jeff
                Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                  • Mar 2005

If I remember correctly, the last time we met, I was insanely jealous of a 1/48 Type VII you had just finished. Eric Topp's boat I think... You helped me out with a file for leaping devils for my Type II years later...

Comment

• JWLaRue
                    • Aug 1994

That would be about right. That DK Models Type VIIC was my first R/C that I built.....still have her as well!

Speaking of a Type II, I have one in 1/32nd scale that came from Dave Manley's old molds. Like that Type VIIC, I also create photo-etched decks for this model as well. Looks really sharp sitting in the water.

Here are a couple of photos:

Attached Files
                    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                      • Mar 2005

My Type II was from Dave as well! He gave me the hull for Christmas when I was living at his old house. The Photo etch deck is beautiful... I think I see another re-build in my future.

Comment

• JustSomeOldDude
                        • Nov 2015

Beautiful work. 1/32 really seems to be the best scale for RC Type II and VII submarines.

Comment

Working...
                        X