• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kielbasa
    • Apr 2005

Haven't posted in a while.....

Hello all,

Its been a while, since I've posted. I still lurk, you know, when I am doing research, or procrastinating.....

Anyway, school is really busy, and its tough to get time in the shop. I teach an architecture class in the engineering depart here at my high school, and this week, kids are building cardboard models of particular house styles. Its always a lot of fun, and I talk to the kids about how much fun modeling can be, not just subs, or even models--- just making something, anything.

So usually, I would build a model of a house style that no student was assigned, so I can model the process, show kids how I do things and set a good example in the shop and with the tools. A lot of times, kids just sit and watch and ask questions about what I'm doing, or why, or what the part is or whatever. It is great, because then they try to mimic what I'm doing. It's really great.

This year, I was inspired by some stuff I was reading and figured I'd make something from a ship. Not a sub, I know.

Anyhow, instead of building a house, I found some measurements for a 5/38 MK32 enclosed mount, secondary battery. Found on ships like the New Jersey etc. This is a dual mount.

Lots of good info on the HNSA website. I feel like I could squeeze into one of these mounts and operate the thing.

anyway, here is a shot of the progress of my cardboard model.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	136529
  • bigdave
    • Feb 2003

Hey Dave. Nice!
    I thought that gun looked familiar. I have a bunch of them on my Sterling BB 63 kit.
    But maybe a bit smaller.
    And don't be such a stranger. We miss you at the regattas. BD
    sigpic"Eat your pudding Mr Land"
    "I ain't sure it's pudden" 20K

Comment

• JWLaRue
      Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
      • Aug 1994

Hi Dave,

Good to hear that you're still around! Anything new on the 3D printing front?

-Jeff
      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• kielbasa
        • Apr 2005

I have been doing tons of printing. scanning, creating. 3D printers are so much fun. I am going to maybe do the parts for the 16/50 main guns on the printer later this year...

here are some pictures of stuff I've made.

Name:	5x LEgo men.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	128274

Name:	yoda.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	128275

Comment

• salmon
          Treasurer
          • Jul 2011

I printed that Yoda too! I was able to change his color, but now I am going to try and print a more realistic colored version.
          Very cool!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...
          X