• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JigSaw
    • Aug 2015

Looking for U-404 Information.

Hello to all,

I am new to the Site. I have been modeling for well over 40 years and after a disappointing experience with the Robbe u-47 about 15 Years ago I have decided to step up my game and give this another shot.

This time I went all out and ordered the OTW Type VII kit from Bob. As Bob called it (the whole nine yards), I ordered the Hull Kit, Extended Conning tower and WTC Dive Module. At the time of ordering I had not decided which version to build so I ordered the Lot. So far I have received the Hull Kit and Conning tower kit and am now awaiting the Dive Module.

Since ordering I have decided to model the earlier version and not the extended version. I have an Andrea Conning tower that I will be modifying to use and am in the research mode for the U-404.

My problem is I can not find a definitive answer to one question, What color was the Prow of the Viking long boat painted on the Conning tower? I found Red but then found out those reports to be erroneous. U Boat.net has no record as well as many other sites.

I am hoping the experts here can help.

All the best.

Trev.
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Red....this based on Georg Högel's excellent book "U-boat Emblems of World War II: 1939-1945". Georg served on U-boats during WW2 and did extensive research on the emblems for all U-boats.

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JigSaw
      • Aug 2015

Thank you Jeff,

Red it is then. I will have to look for a copy of his Book.

Trev.

Comment

• JigSaw
        • Aug 2015

The photo's I find of U-404 are few, One partially shows an underwater Camera on the conning tower? Does anyone have any photo's of this? Or any other Photo's of U-404. My Books and my internet searches are coming up with three pictures.

Thanks,
        Trev.

Comment

• JWLaRue
          • Aug 1994

What three photos do you have?

-Jeff
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JigSaw
            • Aug 2015

Here they are, I hope they show up, First time loading pictures here. My Avatar is not showing up however maybe these will.

Trev.
            Attached Files

Comment

• JWLaRue
              • Aug 1994

Okay.....let me see if any of my references books have additional photos.

-Jeff
              Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JigSaw
                • Aug 2015

That would be great, Thank you. No rush.

Trev.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                  • Aug 1994

Here are some additional photos of the U-404:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	u-404-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	128191 Click image for larger version

Name:	U-404 - 4.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	128193
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	U-404 - 5.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	128194 Click image for larger version

Name:	U-404 - 3.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	128192

One of the captions for these photos states that the color of the emblem was grey and not red. Unfortunately no attribution to this statement was provided so I have no way of knowing which color is correct!

-Jeff
                  Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JigSaw
                    • Aug 2015

Jeff,

Wow, Thank you so much for the time and effort you have put into finding these pictures for me. I owe you one for this.
                    As for the emblem color, The only thing I could find was that the Red report was erroneous, However in research of this kind you just can not believe everything written. I have been looking for something that I can find from more than one reputable source. The answer should be out there somewhere and I am sure I will find it, Just as soon as I paint it one color I will find out I am wrong LOL.

Thank you again Jeff.

Trev.

Comment

• JWLaRue
                      • Aug 1994

Agreed....getting solid confirmation is a challenge in areas like this.

I went back to Georg Högel's book and found the following text that accompanies the U-404 entry that came directly from Otto von Bülow, the U-404's first captain: "The idea of the boat's emblem, which did not take the usual form of a coat of arms, but rather a colorful stripe on the conning tower, came into being during the first operations in the foggy region of Newfoundland."

While not necessarily definitive, the use of the word "colorful" suggests to me something other than grey.

-Jeff
                      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JWLaRue
                        • Aug 1994

Regarding the camera mounted on the port side of the conning tower.....

There was a photo/film correspondent assigned to the flotilla, Oblt. Gerhard Garms, during the middle of 1942. The camera was mounted on the U-404 for one of the patrols that Garms went out on.

Also on a related note, I believe that Oblt. Garms is the photographer responsible for those very familiar photos of Erich Topp at the periscope of the U-552.

-Jeff
                        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JigSaw
                          • Aug 2015

A statement like that coming from Otto Von Bulow himself would sure seem enough to rule out Grey. As for the Camera, I find this unique as for me I have not seen this before.
                          The Camera along with my Norwegian and German heritage are the reason's why I ultimately chose this subject to Model. Also once I started finding out that information was rather elusive for this U-Boat especially after Otto Von Bulow had lived so long, I was hooked.
                          The Pictures you supplied are definitely a wealth of information.

Personally I believe that if Otto Von Bulow had remained in command of U-404 he could have been a Top Ace.

Thank's again.

Trev.

Comment

• dougie995
                            • Jul 2005

Hello gents,

I would recommend U-Boot Im Focus Edition 6 as it has an 11-page article on U 404 with 11 photos. In the artwork in U-Boot im Focus for the U 404 the emblem is drawn in grey. However, I think Jeff's point about a "colourful stripe" is a good one and this suggests, as Jeff says, a colour other than grey. Sorry I can't help with what the actual colour was (I'm not sure we will ever know what the true colour was) but good luck with the U 404 build.

Cheers,

Dougie

Comment

• JigSaw
                              • Aug 2015

Dougie,
                              Thank you for that Information. I immediately went on Ebay and Liberated a copy of U Boot im focus No 6. The description said it had 11 Photos of U-404 and mention of the Unterwasserkamera.
                              As for the all elusive color of the Long Ship Prow, If all else fails I can A, Come up with my own color or B, Just ask the Wife, She know's everything.

Thanks again Dougie.

Comment

Working...
                              X