X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tack
    • Jan 2004

real sonar links?  any online audio perhaps? - Interested in sonar sites

Ive herd that there are sites on the net that have real sound files taken from the real thing, not just whales and stuff but what ships and stuff sound like through passive sonar.

Im also interested if anyone has links to that or stuff on how sonar works. Id like to scrape together some sort of crude sonar listening devices, and be able to place a sound as either coming from in front, behind, left or rigt of the roc. Thanks for any help.
  • koeze
    • May 2003

Do a search on this

Do a search on this forum. I believe you'll find link to a full description on how to build something like that from a (greeting card) piezo speaker.
    I my memory serves me right RAALST posted it.

EJK

Comment

• chips
      • Feb 2003

I received one of these

I received one of these hydrophone units for Christmas.

Comment

Dear Tack,

Have a look (and

Dear Tack,

Have a look (and listen!) to my website]www.rdforrest.freeserve.co.uk[/url]

- for some simple equipment. I've concentrated on a self powered "Pinger" to enable a sunk R/C sub to be located. Perhaps our main worry!

It is not quite clear what you wish to do but it is worth pointing out that our subs are very noisy underwater (when they are working anyway!) and so putting hydrophones onboard is tricky.

Comment

• tack
          • Jan 2004

Yea i should clarify. That

Yea i should clarify. That was a 2 part question,

1. I wanted to be able to listen to anything underwater as well as see it on a tv screen. I have the camera ordered allready, the sound Im going to probably do with a FM wireless mic like radioshack sells and you put together as a kit. I saw some articles on the main page about people wanting to be able to hear nearby rc subs, and that might be interesting to do. I might toy around with having three fm transmitters with one mic facing foreward, one left, and one right, to try getting crude directional readings based on which mic pics up the loudest sound, coupled with the video camera it might be fun. I know theres model surface boaters in the area so that would be prety sneaky to show them footage and recordings of their own surface floaters passing overhead.

2. I was just curious if there were sites that had real sonar recordings that were declassified or done by civilians who had sounds of real ships as heard through passive sonar systems. I know its too much to hope for sounds of real subs as heard by our subs, but just simple stuff like "Heres a recording of a exxon tanker passing over" done by a civilian research group doing sound recordings under water would be interesting to hear.

Comment

• tack
            • Jan 2004

Found a site that has

Found a site that has recordings of real subs. The one i just listened two was a recording of a jap sub headed to germany as heard through some sort of ASW device.

http://www.steel.sakura.ne.jp/conten...d/e_sound.html

Edited By Tack on 1074107533

Comment

Working...
            X