Vom Original zum Modell books in the USA? - Yet more pleading for help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ninjrk
    • Nov 2003

Vom Original zum Modell books in the USA? - Yet more pleading for help.

I'm trying to find a vendor in the US for the Vom Original zum Modell, Die großen Walter-Uboote, Typ XVIII und Typ XXVI book. Can anyone point me in the correct direction. I want to scratch this and the I-201 to go with my Type XXI.

Thanks for any and all help!

Matt
  • JWLaRue
    Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
    • Aug 1994

Matt,

Unfortunately, we no longer have

Matt,

Unfortunately, we no longer have a North American distributor of these books. My suggestion is to use the Amazon.de site and buy it directly. I've done this with most of my German langauge books and it works fine. In fact, if you can navigate the Amazon.com site, you'll find the German site to be identical in layout.

The page on the Amazon.de site with the book you are looking for is Type XVIII and Type XXVI book.

-Jeff
    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• ninjrk
      • Nov 2003

Thank you. I'd found that

Thank you. I'd found that one but was hoping for a more local crew. Oh, well, time to order from Germany!

Thanks again, now I just have to wait until it gets here!

Matt

Comment

• ninjrk
        • Nov 2003

One other thing, is anybody

One other thing, is anybody familiar with the book U-Boottyp XXI by von Eberhard Rössler, H. H. Fuchslocher, K.-W. Grützemacher
        U-Boottyp XXI ?

I already have the Vom Original zum Modell book on the Type XXI as well as the Schiffer book. Does anyone know if this would be a worthwhile pictoral reference or would it be redundant?

Thanks again,
        Matt

Comment

'Local crews' would be nice,

'Local crews' would be nice, but most American sub research, hobby books, and hobby shops tailor to airplanes and trains. They haven't heard about submarines much at all. When I go to some hobby chains here in the US for odd and end parts for making bow planes or what ever (like from RC cars), they ask you what are you making this for? The shop employees are still blown away when they hear you saying I am building a RC submarine. Astonishing but true! I often mish-mash rc car and train parts for my subs. Europe's hobby shops from what travelers have told me would blow us Yankees away in their selection and experience with model boats. If they don't have it, go were the stuff you need is.

One of my projects is building one German 'style single' hull model to learn the European way of things using European products. Very illuminating. Many motors and electronics unavailable in the United States are common and in many cases superior in Europe for what a modeler needs. Sad but true. Like I said, if they don't have it, go were the stuff you need is.

Steve Reichmuth

Comment

• kd6hq
            • Jul 2003

You may also want to

You may also want to consider "Anatomy of the Ship", The Type XXI U-Boat by Fritz Kohl and Eberhard Rossler. Revised Edition Conway Maritime Press Ltd. 2002. The cover folds out to a 1/150 scale drawing, side view and top down view. I'm not an expert but it looks good to me.

I got it from Amazon.com $27.97 plus shipping. (hard cover).

Comment

• u-178
              • Dec 2003

Comment

Working...
              X