• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raalst
    • Feb 2003

linear servo conversion

A linear motion can be made with a simple servo, like this :

A lot of projects require linear motion, but not all of them require high-accuracy linear slides and expensive ball screws. When just a little shove for a door or the ability to pop something up ou…

usable for dive planes, periscopes and maybe for piston tanks ?

a slightly more elaborate version of the same idea (only using the mortal remains of a servo) :
    The linear actuator is a subproduct of a previous project and we tought it would be useful to other makers. So, the idea is to make something like those Firgelli micro actuators but yourself and with the added bonus that you can integrate the inclosure of the actuator to the body of your robot or project.
    Last edited by raalst; 11-03-2018, 08:49 AM.
  • PaulC
    Administrator
    • Feb 2003

Here's the video from the first article. Very cool, Raalst!

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
    <><

Comment

• bob the builder
      Former SC President
      • Feb 2003

Or.. take a look at this slick little unit that I polished up from an idea that "Sub" Ed Tordahl came up with:

This video highlights a linear servo solution put forth by "Sub" Ed Tordahl. This is my take on it. I hope you enjoy!For much more RC sub info, parts, resour...

DIY, or you can buy the conversion parts from my site at: https://www.rc-submarine.com/product...rvo-conversion
      The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

• JWLaRue
        Managing Editor, SubCommittee Report
        • Aug 1994

I like using these little bolt-ons to a regular servo. Work very nicely if you are just looking for linear motion and don't need an extra long 'throw'.....

-Jeff

p.s. I'll find a photo of it installed.
        Attached Files
        Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JWLaRue
          • Aug 1994

Here's an image of the installation instructions which gives a good idea of how it works:

-Jeff
          Attached Files
          Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• jure george
            • Jul 2005

Hey Jeff

Can you post a link to the source of that linear linkage conversion you have posted above?
            Thanks
            George

Comment

• thor
              SubCommittee Member
              • Feb 2009

This is a general purpose linear servo actuator (pusher style). Two sizes have been designed, for different space constraints and force outputs. These use continuous rotation servos which helps keep the cost very low. Off the shelf actuators of this type can cost around $70 USD. The &#8220;mini&#8221; version will fit in smaller spacers, but has a much lower force output. The &#8220;large&#8221; version has a higher force output, but is...larger in size than the &#8220;mini&#8221;. Here is a video that shows how to assemble and run both sizes:https://youtu.be/2vAoOYF3m8U If you like this design, you may also like my Motorized Turntable with Magnetic Attachment Plates:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3353201 Please note that the best way to show your appreciation and keep up to date on my latest 3D printing projects is to head over to my YouTube channel and subscribe!https://www.youtube.com/potentprintables Some inspiration for this design came from:https://hackaday.com/2016/03/31/3d-printed-case-turns-servo-into-quality-linear-actuator/ Included in the files are a list of materials for each size, as well as affiliate links for the non 3D printed parts. STL quantities to print: Mini version- Motor Bracket, Mini Version {QTY 1x} Pinion Gear, Mini Version {QTY 1x} Large version- Motor Bracket, Large Version {QTY 1x} Pinion Gear, Large Version {QTY 1x} Pusher- (works for both types, choose only the desired length and print QTY 1x) 75mm Long [gives stroke of ~50mm] 100mm Long [gives stroke of ~75mm] 125mm Long [gives stroke of ~100mm] 150mm Long [gives stroke of ~125mm]
              Regards,

Matt

Comment

• salmon
                Treasurer
                • Jul 2011

Matt,
                I think he was looking for Jeff's linear servo.
                Peace,
                Tom
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• jure george
                  • Jul 2005

Yep, I am
                  Thanks Tom for clearing that up.
                  Still it is nice to have access to both though.
                  Thanks
                  George

Comment

• JWLaRue
                    • Aug 1994

I cannot provide a link as I bought these line drives at my local hobby store several year ago. But here's a photo of the packaging:

-Jeff
                    Attached Files
                    Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• JWLaRue
                      • Aug 1994

BTW...anyone remember these line drives?

Attached Files
                      Rohr 1.....Los!

Comment

• salmon
                        Treasurer
                        • Jul 2011

I have one or two in my parts bin.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• ccontrol
                          SubCommittee Member
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by salmon View Post
                          I have one or two in my parts bin.
                          Ditto, maybe I should dig them out and use them. Really sorry the Jomar conversions appear to be unavailable.

Comment

• m. munger
                            SubCommittee Member
                            • Feb 2003

I've got a couple of these laying around:

EMS Linear Servo Conversion Kit for Futaba S-148 and S-3151 Servos The Electronic Model Systems Linear Servo Conversion Kit with Ball Bearing for the Futaba S-148 and S-3151 Servos. Awarded U.S. Patent 7,243,562. CLICK FOR MORE DETAILS $12.95 Configuration 1 Add To Cart Futaba S-148 Servo Weight &#8211; 1.6 Oz. / 44.4 gram. Torque &#8211; &#8230; Read More "EMS LINEAR SERVO CONVERSION"

A little bulky, but reliable.

Comment

• bob the builder
                              Former SC President
                              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by m. munger View Post
                              I've got a couple of these laying around:

EMS Linear Servo Conversion Kit for Futaba S-148 and S-3151 Servos The Electronic Model Systems Linear Servo Conversion Kit with Ball Bearing for the Futaba S-148 and S-3151 Servos. Awarded U.S. Patent 7,243,562. CLICK FOR MORE DETAILS $12.95 Configuration 1 Add To Cart Futaba S-148 Servo Weight &#8211; 1.6 Oz. / 44.4 gram. Torque &#8211; &#8230; Read More "EMS LINEAR SERVO CONVERSION"

A little bulky, but reliable.
                              The only thing I don't like about those is the tension that the plastic arms inside put on the servo. A great unit, but it has its drawbacks...
                              The Nautilus Drydocks - Exceptional Products for the World of R/C Submarines - www.nautilusdrydocks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X