• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jefftytoo
    SubCommittee Member
    • Mar 2003

Next SubRonLA Full-Squadron Saturday Run Now Set for Oct. 23

Coming off our very successful run yesterday, the squadron has already collectively decided our next shall take place at the same spot on Oct. 23rd. Hope to see you there!

Green board,
    Jeff
  • salmon
    Treasurer
    • Jul 2011

I might not be able to make to the run. My Scion xB with 284,000 miles, has died. So, we are down to one vehicle. That makes juggling the weekend a little tougher. I am not totally saying I won't be there, just saying there is a high probability I won't.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• coryhenry
      • Jun 2020

Unfortunately I have military this weekend, look forward to the next one.

Comment

• sam reichart
        Past President
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by salmon View Post
        I might not be able to make to the run. My Scion xB with 284,000 miles, has died. So, we are down to one vehicle. That makes juggling the weekend a little tougher. I am not totally saying I won't be there, just saying there is a high probability I won't.
        I think you got your money’s worth out of that Scion.
        We bought our kids Scion tCs when they needed their first car (2006 and 2008). The 2006 got traded in about 2 years ago..the 2008 is still going strong at about 180,000 miles.

Comment

• Ralph --- SSBN 598
          • Oct 2012

I plan to be there this Saturday.
          Will have rescue barge and Skipjack with me.

I may even have the problem child, Gato, with me.

Comment

• jefftytoo
            SubCommittee Member
            • Mar 2003

Post Mortem on 10/23 SubRonLA Run

Here’s a report on yesterday’s SubRonLA run. Weather started out very cool, misty and gloomy—but no rain, reminding me of SanFran runs of old. But the sun later shone and provided a pleasant day. We had fewer participants this time than last, but those who made it wound up with a good time. Newcomer Danny Nguyen happened by and spent his time learning the ropes from Ralph Fendley, who ran his Akula all day—and quite flawlessly once he used his unique mast trimming system to dial her in perfectly. Will Oudmayer ran his river gunboat, while Mike Dory checked in mostly to participate in our chapter’s renowned good fellowship. Steve Neill arrived with two brand new boats to send out on maiden voyages: a small Nautilus and an impressive Type XXIII. Each showed typical minor shakedown issues—some leakage in Nemo’s ride and valve stickiness in both. But that Type XXIII sure looked good out on the water, and each boat will get her tweaks for still better runs next time. As usual, Steve got video of it all—including the collision between my Seaview and his Nautilus! Damage amounted only to a quickly re-straightened bent ’scope, thankfully. Indeed, I got a couple of decent dives out of Captain Crane, but then one motor mysteriously quit and I couldn’t do much with half thrust. (Repairs will take time, what with Harder hogging the Yards.) Little Blueback aimed to please though, with surprisingly good performance once again, at least after I got the correct battery into her for the trim she likes best.

Our next full-squadron run will wait until after the holidaze: I’m scheduling it right now for January 15th (sorry, busy on the 8th). Hope to see you all then! And that includes newcomer Rowdy Yates, who’s been indicating interest but couldn’t get there yesterday.

Green Board,
            Jeff

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blueback and Akula.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	136013

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8656.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	136014