• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steh2o
    • Jul 2013

USS Tang (SS306) questions

Hello,
    I'm reading "Clear the Bridge", and I'm more and more convicted to build a diorama with USS Tang as a protagonist; at the moment the idea would be representing Tang in the second war patrol, during the rescue of shot down airmen outside Truk lagoon. Researching the project, I discovered that very few photographs of Tang are available in my books and on the web, so I have two questions for the experts of the subcommittee:
    -does anybody have a picture, or just a good idea of what Tang's "crow's nest" looked like? I understand that a hole was pierced trough the higher reinforcing plate between the shears, and a coaming welded to resemble a crow's nest, but in which position? the plate itself holds the DF loop, so the lookout must have been squeezed between the DFloop and one of the shears, but which one?
    -O'Kane writes that, to avoid being shot at by friendly planes during the Truk strike, he ordered the two biggest US flags at hand laid and secured on deck, in front and in back of the sail structure. How big could those flags have been?
    Thank you for any answer,
    Stefano
Working...
X