• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • don prince
    SubCommittee Member
    • Feb 2003

Das Boot & U-Boat Wars - by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim

Cassel & Co., London, reprint of Das Boot available for $9.95...

Das Boot is the epic U-Boat war story about the battle for the Atlantic during WWII. There are two chapters in particular which takes the reader's being into the boat and you feel that I may never be able to escape! The monsterous Athantic storm wears you down to the point of exhaustion, then it's your turn to go up into the tower and face the deamons above. There are times when the tower is completely flooded and the four-man watch crew prays that their safty harness doesn't give way. Then there was the chapter that sequestered your spirit and placed you into the darkest abyss in your mind. The depth charge attacks which lasted for an eturnity, and there's no escape from this man-made coffin where you are a prisoner.

Am I a bit too graphic with my words? Yeah, I cheated! My second Book is U-Boat Wars Published by Bonanza Books and printed in 1986. It is a pictoral history of those events written by the author of Das Boot. The first time I seen the pictures of the Atlantic storm with the mountains and valleys of water, it blows your mind away. Then during the depth charge attacks you see the terror hidden behind the glazed eyes of the men, their only hope is the captain. The captain [Kapitanleutnant Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock , 11 Dec 1911 - 18 Apr 1986] seems calm and takes everything as a quiet Sunday chess game. He's planning his next few moves in advance, depending on what his advisaries' move will be. When it's over, he's standing there with his hands in his pockets observing the crew doing their jobs. It's just another day at the office....

Definitely read the book Das Boot, its great! If you have the chance to get U-Boat Wars in any good used condition, then you will see what I'm talking about.

Regards,
    Don_
    A man's gotta know his limitations...
    Harry Callahan, SFPD
Working...
X