X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldsubs
    • Feb 2017

New submarine deck gun information published and coming

News of newly published information on US submarine deck guns.
    The International Naval Research Organization has for nearly seventy years been the premier meeting place for naval historians. Through its publication, Warship International, the members publish articles on their research and exchange information on naval history in the age of steam (meaning 1820 to the present). The exacting standards in published work has made Warship International a 'peer review' for written naval research.

In the latest issue of Warship International is the first of a four part article dealing with submarine deck guns in the US Navy. Written by the noted historian Christopher Wright the article outlines the early history of the deck guns and their fire control systems (yes, they were not just point and shoot as I had thought) leading up to the installation of the 5”/51 on the first three of the V-Class (Barracuda (SS-163), Bass (SS-164), and Bonita (SS-165)). The level of detail in the article is extraordinary in that it describes the guns origin and installation by gun serial number, number of 'equivalent service rounds' fired by each gun during its lifetime on the submarine. Drawing from reports and letters in the National Archives, Mr. Wright also reviews the problems encountered and how the submarines fared during pre-WWII short and long range battle practices. I believe the next installment will deal with the 6”/53 guns on the Argonaut, Nautilus and Narwhal.

Dr. Norman Friedman, who has written extensively on Naval ship design histories, once stated that his work was not the end-all of the subject of the design and building of naval vessels but that he was simply 'plowing the field' and that further work can and should be done to fully understand this subject. Mr Wright's article takes up, in the plowed field of Dr Friedman's U.S. Submarines Through 1945 An Illustrated Design History (Naval Institute Press 2021), and moves it a large step beyond.
    Warship International is published three to four times per year (this year was four and next year will be three). Articles deal in detail with subjects of international naval ship histories in the modern (post 17th century) era.

I have no vested interest in the Organization other than being a member since 1970. I urge you to go to their website www.warship.org to see what the group is about.

V/R
    oldsubs
    Jim Christley
    Tucson, AZ

Working...
X