X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tom dougherty
    • Jul 2005

New Display Model Releases

I have been working with Iron Shipwright's Jon Warneke on a few submarine projects. Iron Shipwrights has just released the following kits, representing 1950-60's Cold War Submarines that have not been previously available.. Since winter is coming and the "hard water season" settles in for some of us in the north, if you are looking for some projects to build some never before available, 1/350 scale submarine models, IS has the kits. These are solid resin hulls and 3-D printed detail parts.
    :
    I've already shown the Seawolf SSN 575 build on this forum. But now also available are:

USS Sailfish SS 572. This is Sailfish in the post SSR configuration, modified with PUFFS. I have attached photos of my build of this kit below.
    USS Dolphin. AGSS 555. The small, deep diving submarine.
    USS Wahoo SS 565. This is the later version (1960's) of the postwar Wahoo (Tang class) submarine. The model has PUFFS arrays and the extended hull.
    USS Darter SS 576. Another Tang class variant.
    USS Blueback SS 581 The last US Navy diesel class, with the Albacore hull design
    ....and finally, the one model many have sought for years
    USS Triton SSRN 586. This is in the post SSRN configuration.

A few upcoming releases:
    Guppy III kit -The last conversion of the fleet submarines.
    USS Marlin - the small training submarine
    and a few others in progress

If you are interested in the submarines between WWI and WWII, IS has available H, L, O, R and S class submarine kits. Also available are Argonaut, Nautilus, and the various pre-Gato classes such as Plunger, Snapper, Sargo, Tambor and Thresher.

I have found that the best way to remove the 3-D printed parts from the print caddy tray is with Xuron photo etch cutters. These have long narrow blades and easily cut the parts from the supports. Note that IS provides multiple copies of the small parts- for example multiple sets of propellers, planes and rudders and masts. Also Iron Shipwright has a "No questions asked" parts replacement policy.

I have assembled some kit prototypes and given feedback, as well as supplying plan sets, photos and advice. Note however that I buy their kits, and I do not have any financial connections or interest. My main interest is keeping the company going and producing fine submarine model kits.

Sailfish Build from Kit

Last photo shows Prairie Masker details for propellers.Click image for larger version  Name:	Sailfish-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	150488

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sailfish-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.7 KB ID:	150489
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Sailfish-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.9 KB ID:	150490
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Sailfish-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.0 KB ID:	150491

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sailfish-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.4 KB ID:	150492
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Sailfish stern close up.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	150493
    Last edited by tom dougherty; 11-23-2023, 12:49 PM.
Working...
X