X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maelje
    • Oct 2012

OKB Grigoriv subs in 1/700 and 1/350 scale

I've built several of the OKB Grigorov subs in 1/700 and 1/350 scale. What do others here think of them? For those not familiar, these are resin kits with a few metal parts made mostly in Bulgaria, I believe. Typically, what you get is the completed hull; you usually have to attach separate front planes, which are resin parts, and metal, photo-etched propeller(s), and a couple other things depending on the model. Mostly, then, the challenge is not in the assembly (although I've certainly spent some nights grumbling over the size of 1/700 planes, AND having to put them on with cyanoacrylate, since regular model glue can't be used on resin), but rather in the painting and finishing.

In addition, there are no parts to represent sensor masts and periscopes, which most submarine model makers do include so you have the choice of depicting them deployed or not. According to what I've read, OKB feels that individual modelers can make these parts on their own.

Also, OKB doesn't supply decals. I've had to improvise when it comes to draft markings, ordering decals made for destroyers and using them instead. On the 1/700 scale boats, they're so small they're very hard to see anyway; they tend to work fine.

Was just wondering what others' experiences might be. I've enjoyed the half dozen or so I've built.
Working...
X